fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m experiencing some odd behavior. I’m using mongodb_driver (v0.9.0) in an app (app1), and it’s been working great. But suddenly, when I use that app as a dependency (by app2), suddenly all my mongo queries time out.

My guess is that I’m stepping into something tricky with supervisors or something. (Why am I doing this? My thought was that app1 defines all the schemas and contexts for how to access resources, and I didn’t want to duplicate any of that in app2 – I want app2 to be ignorant about the “implementation details”).

app1 wraps the Mongo start like this:

def MyMongoWrapper do
  def start_link(opts \\ []) do
    # Read some config here... user, password, etc.
    Mongo.start_link(opts)
  end
end

which is ref’d in app1’s application.ex:

def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      {MyMongoWrapper, []}
    ]
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: App1.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

So all is well with the world in app1: I can start it up and make queries as expected.

But when I start working with app2 and I use app1 as a dependency, nothing seems to work, even though app1 DOES get started and the mongo process DOES get started.

Instead of relying on “implicit starting” (?) that happens when an app lists another app as a dependency, I tried manually listing App1 in app2’s supervision tree, but calls to Mongo still time out.

Likewise, if I remove all the children from app1’s application.ex and list the MyMongoWrapper in app2’s application.ex, I get the same result: any Mongo queries cause an exit due to timeout.

It’s really making me scratch my head and wonder why things are working in app1 at all. The config and everything seems to be exactly the same.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this type of behavior or other things I could check?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

zookzook

zookzook

I assume, your configuration is not working. Please turn on logging: GitHub - zookzook/elixir-mongodb-driver: MongoDB driver for Elixir · GitHub, then you see more information about.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Thanks for the prompt reply @zookzook! This is interesting. I have verified that BOTH app1 and app2 have the IDENTICAL configuration options, something like this:

[
  name: :my_mongo,
  pool_size: 20,
  url: "mongodb://:@localhost:/app1_dev",
  timeout: 15000,
  ssl: false
]

Note that the URL looks funny in dev because we don’t specify a user, password, port, or parameters (which do get set when connecting to a production mongo instance).

What is really curious is that BOTH app1 AND app2 show errors on startup when I set the config to include log: true:

10:13:33.630 [error] an exception was raised logging %DBConnection.LogEntry{call: :execute, connection_time: 5298000, decode_time: 6000, idle_time: 548338000, params: [], pool_time: 147000, query: %Mongo.Query{action: {:exec_hello, []}}, result: {:ok, %Mongo.Query{action: {:exec_hello, []}}, {%{"code" => 59, "codeName" => "CommandNotFound", "errmsg" => "no such command: 'helloOk'", "ok" => 0.0}, %Mongo.Events.CommandStartedEvent{command: :hello, command_name: :hello, connection_id: #PID<0.815.0>, database_name: "admin", operation_id: nil, request_id: 1}, 0, 5240}}}: ** (BadFunctionError) expected a function, got: true
    (db_connection 2.4.2) lib/db_connection.ex:1532: DBConnection.log/2
    (db_connection 2.4.2) lib/db_connection.ex:1510: DBConnection.log/5
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo.ex:1526: Mongo.exec_hello/2
    (stdlib 3.16.1) timer.erl:166: :timer.tc/1
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo/monitor.ex:239: Mongo.Monitor.get_server_description/1
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo/monitor.ex:164: Mongo.Monitor.update_server_description/1
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo/monitor.ex:151: Mongo.Monitor.handle_info/2
    (stdlib 3.16.1) gen_server.erl:695: :gen_server.try_dispatch/4
    (stdlib 3.16.1) gen_server.erl:771: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
    (stdlib 3.16.1) proc_lib.erl:226: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

app1 throws 3 of these errors, and then they pop up intermittently, but app1 can go on to successfully issue commands, e.g.

# app1
iex> Mongo.insert_one(:my_mongo, "foo", %{what: "up"})
{:ok,
 %Mongo.InsertOneResult{
   acknowledged: true,
   inserted_id: #BSON.ObjectId<633d93aac6e47b35cb0d1fc5>
 }}

whereas app2 just throws an unending stream of these errors into the log. The same command on app2 yields a timeout:

# app2
iex> Mongo.insert_one(:my_mongo, "foo", %{what: "up"})
** (exit) exited in: GenServer.call(:my_mongo, {:checkout_session, :write, [write_counter: 1]}, 60000)
    ** (EXIT) time out
    (elixir 1.13.4) lib/gen_server.ex:1030: GenServer.call/3
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo/session.ex:142: Mongo.Session.start_session/3
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo/session.ex:694: Mongo.Session.in_session/5
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo.ex:1482: Mongo.issue_command/4
    (mongodb_driver 0.9.2) lib/mongo.ex:849: Mongo.insert_one/4

It’s like Mongo “knows” how its server is getting started or something. Very curious. Any other ideas for what could explain this behavior?

I just noticed app1 shows "mongodb_driver": {:hex, :mongodb_driver, "0.9.1" in its mix.lock whereas app2 specifies "mongodb_driver": {:hex, :mongodb_driver, "0.9.2" … so I’m gonna suss that out

zookzook

zookzook

If both apps have identical configurations then they started the supervisor related stuff twice. Use only one configuration. A topology should only started as a singleton.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

To clarify: the supervisor is only started once, I’m just comparing behaviors between the 2 apps. When app1 is run as a stand-alone app, it starts up the supervisor and Mongo. When app2 starts, it doesn’t explicitly start anything, it defers to app1 to start up its stuff. (I only explored variants to see if I could figure out what was going on here).

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Aha, the problem seems to be with version 0.9.2. As soon as I force app2 to use 0.9.1, it behaves the same way as app1: the log periodically shows the error (see above), but it is able to issue commands.

So really this has nothing to do with supervisors, it’s just something to do with differences between v0.9.1 and v0.9.2. The fact that errors are being logged may indicate something problematic, however.

I should add that I’m connecting to an instance of mongo v4.0.0 – this is because in production we rely on AWS DocumentDB, and v4.0.0 seems to be the most similar.

zookzook

zookzook

The driver 0.9.2 does not support 4.0. Sorry, you need to downgrade the driver. It does not support AWS DocumentDB.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Ok, we’ll pin it to v0.9.1. Thanks for the responses! They are much appreciated.
This really is a great driver – I’d love to see an Ecto adapter for it. We’ve got a handful of code that could maybe be adapted for that.

Interesting re DocumentDB: we are using DocumentDB in production with mongodb_driver v0.9.1 and it has been working fine – admittedly our queries are limited to mostly CRUD without a lot of filters or sorting, but it hasn’t had any issues.

zookzook

zookzook

The handshake workflow changed. Instead of using ismaster, the new handshake workflow uses hello!

The hello command was introduced with Mongo 4.2 or 4.4, so I decided to use the new hello command.

zookzook

zookzook

I think, you found a bug in the hello command. I will fix it and then the driver should work with AWS DocumentDB!

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

That’s great! Do you want me to file a bug with steps to reproduce?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews