zookzook

zookzook

Announcing an alternative MongoDB Driver! Do you like the MongoDB despite the general opinion a database always has to be an sql database? Would you like to use your favorite database with your favorite language? Then you are right here!

Sadly there is no official driver (I do not know why?). So you have to take things into your own hands and write the driver yourself. Currently the implementation does not support all features yet. But over time (hopefully) the succesive expansion of the missing features will take place.

Features:

  • Supports MongoDB versions 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 4.0
  • Connection pooling (through DBConnection 2.x)
  • Streaming cursors
  • Performant ObjectID generation
  • Follows driver specification set by 10gen
  • Safe (by default) and unsafe writes
  • Aggregation pipeline
  • Replica sets
  • Support for SCRAM-SHA-256 (MongoDB 4.x)
  • Support for change streams api (See)

More information, sources and packages:
github hex.pm

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your hard work on this library!

From the GitHub Readme, it gather that mongodb_driver is a split-off with some different design decisions from the mongodb library.
Do you know how it compares to the other MongoDB-drivers that currently are floating around in the Elixir ecosystem? (mongo, mongodb_erlang, mongodb_client and mongox)

zookzook

zookzook OP

let me say: tempus fugit.

mongox - DEPRECATED
mongo - 0.5.4 December 1, 2015 (docs)
mongodb_erlang - seems not to support op_msg (since 3.6)

Unfortunately, the libraries are not up-to-date regarding the MongoDB server. Since I use the latest version of my projects and therefore want to use the features of the server, I was looking for a suitable driver. Unfortunately I did not find one, so I searched for the best starting point and developed my own driver.

zookzook

zookzook OP

The new version 0.6.0 has been released. Additional features since last announcing (May 4):

  • Support for bulk writes (See specs)

  • support for driver sessions (See specs)

  • support driver transactions (See specs)

  • Enhancements

    • refactored writeConcern
    • refactored filter_nils
    • refactored usage of ReadPreference
    • added support for sessions ( ServerSession , SessionPool , Session )
    • added Decimal128 encoder
    • added support for transactions
    • added support for transaction to gridfs and bulk operation
    • added create command (explicitly creating a collection or view)
    • Supports MongoDB versions 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 4.0, 4.2

Check the documentation for more information:

mhs

mhs

I don’t use MongoDB at present. But, just wanted to say, nice work @zookzook. I hope you keep getting traction with this.

zookzook

zookzook OP

Thank you for your feedback! I am always happy when I get some feedback

zookzook

zookzook OP

The new version 0.7.0 has been released:

  • support for command monitoring
  • support for retryable reads
  • support for retryable writes

Enhancements:

  • refactored the api of Mongo.limits and Mongo.wire_version
  • add support for tracking recovery token from response in a sharded transaction
  • new function BSON.ObjectId.decode/1 and BSON.ObjectId.encode/1
  • new function Mongo.uuid/1
  • refactored event notification system
  • refactored the test cases
  • now using mtools for a MongoDB deployment in the travis ci environment
  • Session.commit_transaction returns now :ok or an error {:error, %Mongo.Error{}}
  • support for errorLabels
zookzook

zookzook OP

Announcing a helper library to support using structs instead of bare maps while using the MongoDB-Driver:

Hex.pm
Github
Demo

Features:

  • automatic load and dump function
  • reflection functions
  • type specification
  • support for embedding one and many structs
  • support for after load function
  • support for before dump function
  • support for id generation
  • support for default values
  • support for derived values

The module creates some boilerplate code, so you can use structs for your data. You call load/1 to convert the map from the driver to your struct. To save your struct to MongoDB you call dump/1 before you call insert_one or insert_many.

Check out the docs!

edwinallenz

edwinallenz

Actually I’m using your driver in production and works well, I have a filtering question that I posted here.

If you’re able to give it a look

thanks

zookzook

zookzook OP

See my answer here.

zookzook

zookzook OP

The driver is now OTP 24 ready. Thanks to aenglisc for replacing the deprecated functions.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews