gpcweb
I’am new on elixir and I’m building an application that downloads some pdf files from s3. It works just fine using a supervisor and poolboy to manage the process, but I would like to retrieve all the links from a database, I’m seeing ecto but when I used It tells me that I need a supervisor.
This is my current model module
defmodule Pdf.Consumption do
use Ecto.Schema
alias Pdf.Consumption
alias Pdf.Repo
schema "consumptions" do
field :invoice_url
end
def all do
Consumption
|> Repo.all
end
end
This is my current application module
defmodule Pdf do
use Application
def start(_type, _args) do
poolboy_config = [
{:name, {:local, pool_name()}},
{:worker_module, Pdf.Worker},
{:size, 2},
{:max_overflow, 0}
]
children = [:poolboy.child_spec(pool_name(), poolboy_config, [])]
options = [
strategy: :one_for_one,
name: Pdf.Supervisor
]
Supervisor.start_link(children, options)
end
defp pool_name() do
:pdf_pool
end
defp pdf_pool(link) do
:poolboy.transaction(
pool_name(),
fn(pid) -> :gen_server.call(pid, link) end, :infinity
)
end
def parallel_pool(links) do
Enum.each( links, fn(link) -> spawn( fn() -> pdf_pool(link) end ) end )
end
end
And I would like to make this on parallel_pool
def parallel_pool do
Pdf.Consumption.all
|>Enum.each( links, fn(link) -> spawn( fn() -> pdf_pool(link) end ) end )
end
So my question is, how can achieve this? I need another module that use Application?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
So there are really two questions here:
I’m gonna answer #2. Poolboy is not the way to do this. The easiest way is to use the Elixir 1.4 Task.async_stream. function:
This will download 20 links at a time. It will not return anything, I’m assuming that you’re writing to disk or something with
process_link. If you need the results you would just|> Enum.to_listinstead ofStream.rungpcweb
Can you explain me why poolboy is not the way to do this?
NobbZ
Because it adds a dependency while the work can be done with stuff from the std-lib easily.