hauleth
Currently Phoenix generates configuration for Ecto in the config/config.exs (I mean option :ecto_repos). Why there? Instead of polluting config.exs (and by extension sys.config) with needless configuration options I believe it would be better to use application env instead. For these unaware of this feature, you can specify “global” configuration within application/0 callback in Mix.Project, ex.:
defmodule MyProject.Mixfile do
use Mix.Project
# …
def application do
[
mod: {MyProject.Application, []},
extra_applications: [:logger],
env: [
ecto_repos: [MyProject.Repo]
]
]
end
# …
end
This will keep only runtime configuration (this option is used almost exclusively in development and testing) in config/config.exs and will not pollute sys.config in the result.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
I would love it if we could do that for every dependency!
We can also have mini functions like this:
It would be damn beautiful.
hauleth
This would bring no improvement over
config/config.exsas such options would still need to land in thesys.config(as you should not edit other applicationsapp.srcfiles). What would be more helpful would be allowing to define separate config file that would be loaded only at compile time. Alternatively provide something to define “compile time options” so instead of setting compile time options inconfig/config.exswe could configure it somewhere else and access it for example viaModule.compile_env/1-3or similar.dimitarvp
I’m not entirely sure what’s your pet peeve against more config landing in
sys.config. I mostly agree with it but I don’t see it as fatal.My main point is: have dedicated places for config.
For newcomers to your project (or to Elixir itself) it is mighty confusing to have to discover 7-10 source code files containing configuration which can by anywhere in the tree.
Config in a dedicated directory and nowhere else would be a strong quality of life improvement.
Keeping things simple is a disappearing ancient art, it seems.
hauleth
The reason is that after some time I come to liking
sys.configand in my deployments I could use this directly instead of using additional tools like config providers. But it become troublesome when this file grows larger and larger for no apparent reason.What I mean is exactly that - have one config file, but keep only runtime configuration there. How often you edit
:ecto_repos? This is configuration option needed only formix ecto.*tasks and is used by anything else, so why the hell it is inconfig/config.exsat all? This option do not configure my application in any way, only tooling, and to be exact - mostly development tooling, as often you do not havemixin production.And that is what I am trying to achieve there - hide unneeded entries from users and keep configuration files as simple and short as possible, do not bloat them with compile time and tooling configuration that has nothing to do with my application behaviour.