deerob4

deerob4

I’m writing a quiz system using Elixir. Every time a user chooses an answer to a question, an %AnswerPacket{} struct is created, containing information on the answer. This packet is then processed by two GenServers, ScoreServer and AnswerServer, both of which have an update/2 function, taking the server pid and the packet.

Currently, I’m implementing this using GenEvent. There’s a third process, PacketHandler, that has a :push_packet event which forwards the packet to ScoreServer and AnswerServer, as below:

def handle_event({:push_packet, packet}, %{scores: scores, answers: answers} = pids)  do
  ScoreServer.update(scores, packet)
  AnswerServer.update(answers, packet)
  {:ok, pids}
end

This works pretty well, but I’m interested in how it could be reimplemented using GenStage. Am I right in thinking that PacketHandler would be the producer, and ScoreServer and AnswerServer consumers? If so, how would PacketHandler work? Currently the event is triggered by a function call, but the examples I’ve seen of GenStage seem more like a stream. And how does it fit in with the concept of demand, if its dependent on the user choosing an answer?

I’m a bit confused, so any help would be appreciated xD

Showing Posts 2 to 1

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Correct. To add to your reply, the PacketHandler likely wants to use the broadcast dispatcher, to ensure every event is broadcast to all consumers.

The GenStage documentation contains two examples of how a PacketHandler could be implemented (see the Broadcaster examples). There is another example in the source code.

wfgilman

wfgilman

Based on my understanding, PacketHandler would be a producer and ScoreServer and AnswerServer would be consumers, as you expected. When they are implemented, they are simply up and running, waiting for information to process. To get things started, when someone answered a question, you would send a message to PacketHandler letting it know there is information to process. Add something like this to the code that creates the %AnswerPacket{}.

send PacketHandler, :new_answer

and something like this to PacketHandler

handle_info(:new_answer, state) do
  ...
 {:noreply, events, state}
end

In the init function of PacketHandler, you can specify the :dispatcher option which allows you to tailor how PacketHandler communicates with ScoreServer and AnswerServer.

Watching this talk a couple of times helped me wrap my head around GenStage.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews