yeroc

yeroc

Hi all! Deleted the previous post, formatting was very messed up. Apologies!

I’ve got some Mox tests working with some API functions, but the current way I have it organized doesn’t seem quite right to me. Hoping for some guidance and to understand better.

Current module context-

api_calls.ex houses all of the direct interaction with urls and decoding the whole of JSON responses, i.e.

  defp handle_response(url, headers) do
    case http_client().get(url, headers) do
      {:ok, %{body: body}} ->
        Jason.decode!(body)

      {:error, reason} ->
        {:error, reason}
    end
  end

  defp http_client, do: Application.get_env(:my_app, :http_client)

fetch_users.ex are the individual functions that call the API/url functions and provide specific transformations of the returned JSON data, clean it up, maps etc. This is where I’m noting the behaviour for Mox to mock. A separate behaviour.ex file has the callbacks to all the functions here i.e.


@behaviour FetchUsersBehaviour

def get_ids(names, location) do
    names
    |> Enum.map(&Task.async(fn -> ApiCalls.fetch_id(&1, location) end))
    |> Enum.map(&Task.await(&1))
    |> Enum.map(& &1["ids"])
  end

fetch_users_switch.ex calls all the functions in fetch_users.ex, but with the impl layer that Mox uses. i.e.

 def get_ids(names, location) do
    fetch_impl().get_ids(names, location)
  end

defp fetch_impl() do
    Application.get_env(:my_app, :users, FetchUsers)
  end

fetcher.ex is the main module that chains/pipes together all the individual functions of fetch_users.ex, but does so by going through fetch_users_switch.ex.

alias FetchUsersSwitch, as: Fetch

def do_all(name, location) do
name
      |> Fetch.get_ids(location)
      |> Fetch.foo(location)
      |> Fetch.bar(location)
      |> Fetch.more(location)
end

My question might be more about subjectivity with how things should be organized, but am I doing this correctly with integrating Mox? Is there a simpler way to do this and Ive just overthought it?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews