anuaralfetahe
Hi,
I’m trying to build a multi-platform Docker image based on elixir:1.17-otp-27. However, I’ve encountered an issue: the jason library fails to compile on arm64 because my host machine is running on amd64 architecture. I’ve also tried building the image on an arm64 machine, but then the build step for amd64 fails.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? I prefer not to create separate image tags, as the elixir:1.17-otp-27 base image already seems to supports both architectures.
Steps to reproduce:
- Create new project:
mix new myapp - Add
jasonas dependency in themix.exsfile:{:jason, "~> 1.4"} - Create Dockerfile with the following contents:
FROM elixir:1.17-otp-27
WORKDIR /app
COPY . .
RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix deps.get
RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix compile
RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix release
- Build the image:
docker buildx build --platform linux/amd64,linux/arm64 -t myapp_test .
This is the output:
=> ERROR [linux/arm64 5/6] RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix compile 21.1s
------
> [linux/arm64 5/6] RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix compile:
6.777 ==> jason
6.779 Compiling 10 files (.ex)
17.80 Compiling lib/encode.ex (it's taking more than 10s)
19.47 Compiling lib/decoder.ex (it's taking more than 10s)
20.03 Generated jason app
20.07 could not compile dependency :jason, "mix compile" failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile jason --force", update it with "mix deps.update jason" or clean it with "mix deps.clean jason"
20.84 Segmentation fault (core dumped)
------
WARNING: No output specified with docker-container driver. Build result will only remain in the build cache. To push result image into registry use --push or to load image into docker use --load
Dockerfile:9
--------------------
7 |
8 | RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix deps.get
9 | >>> RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix compile
10 | RUN MIX_ENV=prod mix release
--------------------
ERROR: failed to solve: process "/bin/sh -c MIX_ENV=prod mix compile" did not complete successfully: exit code: 139
Is there anything else I could do to build the same tag for both architectures? Thanks in advance ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
A shot in the dark, maybe installing
build-essentialwith the distro’s package manager could help? Though I don’t thinkjasonhas any native dependencies…garazdawi
Is it specifically jason? Does it work for other libraries?
There have been issues in the past with qemu and the Erlang JIT, though they usually manifest earlier. Try setting
ERL_FLAGS="+JMsingle true"and see if that helps.anuaralfetahe
Actually
jasonlibrary had nothing to do with the problem. It was just the first library on my dependency list which failed with the error message.Adding
RUN ERL_FLAGS="+JMsingle true" MIX_ENV=prod mix compilefixed the issue for multi arch build, thank you!I’m wondering if this flag is only used during the compilation step it has no negative effect on the runtime?
garazdawi
It does not effect runtime if you only enable it during compilation. The flag disables some safeguards put in place that limits what an attacker can do if they find a vulnerability in the JIT.