camcaine
Hello
I’m looking to prototype an embedded system with multiple (wearable) sensors talking to (maybe) a central process over BLE. I’m not new to Elixir, but never had a chance to use Nerves (or any embedded) yet. Does anyone have some advice on which hardware would be a good choice to get up and running quickly with Nerves.
Specifically looking at IMU sensors. But I have little to no knowledge of what else would be needed besides BLE. I’ve looked at Arduino, RPi, Adafruit, but not sure what would make the most sense.
Many thanks in advance.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
lucaong
I personally don’t have a good recommendation concerning hardware for a wearable, but in general, Nerves runs on devices capable of running at least the Linux kernel. Therefore, Arduino and other microcontrollers won’t be able to run Nerves. The RPi works great with Nerves, as other Linux boards like the Beaglebone do.
camcaine
That’s interesting and good to know. I clearly need to get a bit more familiar with the embedded world. For some reason I thought Arduino would.
Question: If the ‘child’ sensors were only sending sensor information over bluetooth would it be redundant to have linux/nerves on them, or would it be more sensible to just try and make them run from a microcontroller for example?
outlog
for a wearable I think ESP8266(with a ble module) or esp32(wifi/ble on board) would be the “correct” way to go about it - then most likely connect it to a phone via BLE or just pure wifi.. perhaps mqtt to some elixir server..
(this is due to power/battery requirements..)
however I also assume you are in it to learn a thing or two, and perhaps elixir/nerves related stuff - so it all depends - what are looking to solve/learn?
for nerves you can start with a raspberry pi zero w - add a few sensors and a power bank and you are rolling..
BLE on nerves elixir is bluex GitHub - highmobility/bluex: Bluex is a Bluetooth Low Energy abstraction layer on top of the DBus/Bluez. · GitHub (much outdated it seems) or harald https://github.com/verypossible/harald (low level it seems) - so not sure of the BLE “story” on nerves - could be a bunch of hurt to get it working..
camcaine
Thanks! I’ll have a look into those.
It would likely connect to a phone, but at some point I might need to fuse the sensor data, and while that could happen on the phone, there might be instances where the phone is unreachable and important to do it on the parent board.
I’m not a C programmer, but looked into embedded Rust a little bit. But for me, being able to use Elixir and some solid tooling would be the easiest thing for me.