granyatee

granyatee

Is it possible that I execute two different commands when I use iex -S mix like you can do un unix bash using the && operator?

Edit:
i.e.: I want to reload a module and test one of the module’s functions something like
r App.CoursesModule && App.CoursesModule.list_courses()

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @granyatee are you talking about running multiple mix tasks, or executing multiple commands inside the REPL that iex provides?

eksperimental

eksperimental

if you are talking the mix command, you can achieve that with mix do
for example:
mix do task1, task2, task3

granyatee

granyatee OP

Yeah, multiple commands inside the REPL

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

The REPL executes elixir code, which generally means functions are called one per line. So you’d do:

iex(1)> IO.puts("hello world")
hello world
:ok
iex(2)> IO.puts("wazzup")
wazzup
:ok

You can put multiple commands on the same line and execute them unconditionally by separating them with a ;

iex(3)> IO.puts("hello world"); IO.puts("wazzup")
hello world
wazzup
:ok

You can use && to conditionally call functions as long as prior functions returned something “truthy”

iex(4)> true && IO.puts("wazzup")
wazzup
:ok
iex(5)> false && IO.puts("wazzup")
false

Basically it’s just Elixir code.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Just saw your edit, I’m pretty sure you want:

r(App.CoursesModule); App.CoursesModule.list_courses()
granyatee

granyatee OP

Exactly what I needed.

Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews