nyakio

nyakio

I have an invitation form that includes a list of existing groups a user can be invited to. The form does not allow creating new groups but lets users select from the existing groups to associate with the invitation.
Below is a sample form input:

Additionally, here is the Invitation#create action:

actions do
    defaults [:read, :destroy]

    create :create do
      accept [:email, :language]

      argument :groups, {:array, :uuid}, allow_nil?: false

      change manage_relationship(:groups,
               on_lookup: :relate,
               on_no_match: :error,
               on_match: :ignore,
               on_missing: :unrelate
             )

      primary? true
    end
  end

What is the best way to create an input field that allows selecting existing groups to associate with an invitation?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Hey there! I think the most straightforward way to go about this is to use the prepare_params option of AshPhoenix.Form. I put together a little example project that you can run, and go to /posts. There you can create a post with two category options each toggled with checkboxes. In your case, the label would be the name of the group, and instead of #{category} it would be something like #{group.id}.

This is a link to the relevant form_component.ex.

https://github.com/zachdaniel/checkbox_example/blob/main/lib/example_web/live/post_live/form_component.ex

nyakio

nyakio OP

Thank you. This works!
However, I am unable to get form validation to work. Whenever I validate the form with:

  @impl true
  def handle_event("validate", %{"invitation" => params}, socket) do
    form = Form.validate(socket.assigns.form, params, errors: true)
    {:noreply, assign(socket, :form, form)}
  end

All of the selected groups get unchecked.

almirsarajcic

almirsarajcic

For anyone struggling with this, we solved it by getting the value of groups:

def render(assigns) do
  assigns =
    assigns
    |> assign(:checked_groups, AshPhoenix.Form.value(assigns.form, :groups) || [])

and setting checked attribute depending on whether a group is inside that list:

<%= for group <- @groups do %>
  <.input
    type="checkbox"
    label={group.name}
    name={@form.name <> "[groups][#{group.id}]"}
    id={@form.id <> "_groups_#{group.id}"}
    checked={group.id in @checked_groups}
    />

The groups stay checked after validation.
We just need to make sure we’re assigning the form during validation, as always:

def handle_event("validate", %{"invitation" => params}, socket) do
  form = AshPhoenix.Form.validate(socket.assigns.form, params)
  {:noreply, assign(socket, :form, form)}
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews