tomazbracic

tomazbracic

Hi,

I would like to find out the best way to start working on a multi-tenant SaaS product involving Elixir’s full-stack.
In the past, I already asked here about authentication and authorization, but without real luck. I am aware of Pow, Guardian, Phx.gen.auth… but somehow I still have a feeling that I will need to develop 2 products. The first one is my idea about Saas, and the second one is something to cover all these things around security.

I was looking into Keycloak, but I would rather avoid another external dependency.

Current tooling gives you the impression that all we have is basic support. Like the majority of products and use-cases would be running backends with minimum support for auth. Am I wrong? I mean I know I am, but I would like to challenge someone to give some useful feedback. Is there any real guide or tutorial or course on topics like Phx.gen.auth…

So I would like to build SaaS and use it as a multitenant platform with all sorts of roles behind and other modern options. And all that to be production-ready.

I would really like to get some guidance on where to go from here.

Thanks, T

Showing Posts 1 to 3

kartheek

kartheek

I don’t think you need to build anything from scratch, there are many good libraries out there.

You need answer few questions:

  1. How do you distinguish the requests coming from different tenants in you multi-tenant app ? domain name or api key

  2. What auth providers you will have for authentication - google, fb, etc

  3. How will you provide auth through json endpoint or oauth2 web flow?

  4. Few details about what SaaS platform it is or any references to an existing product? (to understand auth requirements)

Guardian is very mature library for security - GitHub - ueberauth/guardian: Elixir Authentication · GitHub .

I have built multi-tenant solution without phoenix auth and pow. They did not even exist back then.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Can you explain what “all sorts of roles behind and other modern options” is meant to mean? In my experience the reason why authentication/authorization libraries are often such a pain-point is that a library is used, which does handle that “stuff” just not in a way it would align well with project/business requirements – especially when faced with continuous development and maintenance.

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

I would be interested to understand more of your needs. What do you mean by multi-tenancy?

I have a simplistic understanding of multi-tenancy basically meaning that the app supports multiple accounts where each account has it’s own set of data including users. At least that’s how my app works. Each table has an account_id column, almost all context functions receive %Account{} as the first argument. I find that manageable, though my app is pretty small. I support username+password authentication plus access token based for the mobile app API. I’m not a fan of generators, but I mostly got my code out of phx.gen.auth.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews