A-Grunder

A-Grunder

Hello,

I am writing a cellualr automata system in elixir. I think that the problem comes from the cell supervisor (DynamicSupervisor) not creating the cells

This is the repository of my code : https://github.com/A-Grunder/Cellular-Automata-in-Elixir.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

While it’s nice you posted a GitHub repo proving what you need does not work, it’s still considered polite to demonstrate you have made an effort to fix the problem(s).

What have you tried?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

None of the Cell processes ever start because they try to register with a registry that isn’t started (or even defined):

https://github.com/A-Grunder/Cellular-Automata-in-Elixir/blob/3ba53ba3efa445e08d0dabc0e401c3918ad66e59/lib/cell.ex#L112

You’ll need a line like:

{Registry, keys: :unique, name: CellularAutomata.Cell.Registry}

in your supervision tree.

I also suspect you’ll want to call Registry.update_value rather than register here, since passing the via tuple to GenServer.start_link as name will already have done the registration.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Closing out tabs and I noticed the updates to the repo - looks like the next headache is going to be timeouts:

08:33:34.984 [error] GenServer #PID<0.228.0> terminating
** (stop) exited in: GenServer.call(CellularAutomata.World, :get_grid, 5000)
    ** (EXIT) time out
    (elixir 1.16.2) lib/gen_server.ex:1114: GenServer.call/3
    (cellular_automata 0.1.0) lib/scenes/home.ex:25: CellularAutomata.Scene.Home.init/3
    (scenic 0.11.2) lib/scenic/scene.ex:1335: Scenic.Scene.handle_continue/2
    (stdlib 5.2.1) gen_server.erl:1085: :gen_server.try_handle_continue/3
    (stdlib 5.2.1) gen_server.erl:995: :gen_server.loop/7
    (stdlib 5.2.1) proc_lib.erl:241: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: {:continue, {:_init, [supervisor: #PID<0.226.0>, stop_pid: #PID<0.226.0>, child_supervisor: nil, name: "_main_", module: CellularAutomata.Scene.Home, parent: #PID<0.220.0>, param: nil, viewport: %Scenic.ViewPort{name: :main_viewport, pid: #PID<0.220.0>, script_table: #Reference<0.2747193118.4261019661.20982>, size: {800, 600}}, root_sup: #PID<0.222.0>, opts: [theme: :dark]]}}
State: nil

08:33:34.990 [error] Scene exited or crashed before it was done initializing.
pid: #PID<0.228.0>, reason: {:timeout, {GenServer, :call, [CellularAutomata.World, :get_grid, 5000]}}
module: CellularAutomata.Scene.Home, id: "_main_"

The root cause is that between line 20 and line 25, the World process is starting 250,000 Cell processes. The handle_cast for :start_state doesn’t return control to the GenServer receive loop until that’s done, so the message sent by World.get_grid doesn’t get handled within GenServer.call’s default 5-second timeout.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Following up on this, I don’t think a process per cell is a particularly good model for how cellular automata work. There’s no real concurrency in play, as the whole program has to operate in a stepwise fashion. Each cell depends on the state of the previous cell, which if those are different processes will result in a lot of message passing.

Now, from a “let’s play with it” standpoint, go for it! But may lower the process count to start with to make debugging easier, and grow it as you gain confidence in how the program is working.

heilong

heilong

You are technically correct for existing definitions of CA, but …

  1. It should be possible for each cell to keep previous/current values as state, execute updates with messages, then roll the state when it has provided prev to all neighbors, and updated curr from all neighbors, e.g. a simple countdown message counter state for each generation, and a monotonic generation counter ID state also provided in all messages.

  2. Asynch CA is much more interesting to me, because the real world is async. Sure the actual results will depend on BEAM scheduler and the random seed, but evolving structure, statistics and stability would be fascinating (not to appeal to authority, but joearms was a physicist and I’m sure he would agree).

P.S. Apologies, I have not looked at the repo, and have not searched for previous work on Asynch CA.

heilong

heilong

I have put up a quick hack to illustrate 1 & 2:

https://github.com/mike-french/expaca

There are synch and asynch simulations using GoL rule,
with output to bitmaps, images and video/gif
(if you have ffmpeg installed).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews