jabuci

jabuci

I’m new to Elixir (started yesterday) and as a first little program, I wanted to solve the Münchausen numbers problem.

“A Münchausen number is a number equal to the sum of its digits raised to each digit’s power. For instance, 3435 is a Münchausen number because 3^3+4^4+3^3+5^5 = 3435. The largest Münchausen number is less than 440 million.”

The problem is that my program eats up all my RAM (16 GB) and the OS kills the process. And I don’t understand what goes on with the garbage collector.

Here is my solution:

#!/usr/bin/env elixir

defmodule Munchausen do
  @cache [0] ++ for n <- 1..9, do: n ** n

  def get_cache(), do: @cache

  def explode(n), do: explode(n, [])

  # int, acc -> list[int]
  def explode(n, acc) when n == 0, do: acc

  def explode(n, acc) do
    digit = rem(n, 10)
    explode(div(n, 10), [digit | acc])
  end

  # int -> bool
  def is_munchausen(n) do
    digits = explode(n)
    li = for x <- digits, do: Enum.at(@cache, x)
    n == Enum.sum(li)
  end
end

defmodule Main do
  # @max 10_000
  @max 440_000_000

  def main() do
    # Munchausen.get_cache() |> IO.inspect
    for n <- 0..@max do
      # :erlang.garbage_collect()
      if rem(n, 1_000_000) == 0 do
        IO.puts("# #{n}")
      end
      if Munchausen.is_munchausen(n) do
        IO.puts(n)
      end
    end
  end
end

Main.main()

I know that it’s not optimal and slow. I’ll work on it.

Now the question is: why does it consume all my memory and how to prevent that? Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

A for loop like this will return a list containing the results of every evaluation of the do block:

for n <- 0..10 do
  IO.puts(n)
end

Running this in iex produces:

iex(1)> for n <- 0..10 do
...(1)>   IO.puts(n)
...(1)> end
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
[:ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok, :ok]

Your Main.main function is building up a 440 million element list of :ok and nil, which it then discards when it exits.

jabuci

jabuci OP

Thanks. Right, the same thing happens in Python too:

$ python3
Python 3.10.4 (main, Mar 23 2022, 23:05:40) [GCC 11.2.0] on linux
>>> a = list(range(0, 440_000_000))
[1]    216403 killed     python3

So what’s the solution? How to iterate over the numbers from 0 until 440 million?

Update: I found the answer to my question:

Enum.each(0..@max, fn n ->
  if rem(n, 1_000_000) == 0 do
    IO.puts("# #{n}")
  end
  if Munchausen.is_munchausen(n) do
    IO.puts(n)
  end
end)
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You might use stream to process the list lazily…

tj0

tj0

Also, check out Memoize — memoize v1.4.5 , it makes the caching step trivial. For fibonnaci example:

defmodule Fib do
  use Memoize
  defmemo fibs(0), do: 0
  defmemo fibs(1), do: 1
  defmemo fibs(n), do: fibs(n - 1) + fibs(n - 2)
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews