shankardevy

shankardevy

A new book on Phoenix 1.3 is getting ready!

You can read a sample section today!

http://shankardevy.github.io/code/create-elixir-web-app-using-cowboy/

In this post, I go into details of how to create a web app in Elixir using Cowboy server. Though it might look unrelated to a book on Phoenix, it’s very much related on the contrary. Understanding how Cowboy works and to start using it in your Elixir app goes a long way into understanding many of the concepts of Phoenix. It also helps you to trust and appreciate the design of Phoenix framework.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice to see another book in the works :023:

If the book follows the same format as your post it should be pretty good - I like how you walk through everything fully and clearly.

What topics will you cover altogether? Are you self publishing? How many pages do you expect it to be around?

shankardevy

shankardevy OP

Thanks AstonJ for your comments.

The book is self-published.

Number of pages: Not sure. Also I believe it depends on how the layout/format is being done. But in general, it should be comparable to the size of Programming Phoenix or Rails Tutorial.

Topics are not fully finalised and written. But the approach I have taken is

  1. I am addressing only people who are already familiar with MVC and have worked with frameworks like Rails. This helps me to avoid explaining what MVC or basic stuffs around MVC.
  2. I follow the method of full immersion like how many (human) language learning app is designed. I show you the code even before explaining it and give you a chance to decipher for yourself before I start explaining each of them.
  3. I focus on getting a wholesome knowledge on Phoenix from reading this book. By wholesome I mean, a Rails dev picking up this book should feel comfortable to read minimal Elixir required for working with Phoenix, understand Phoenix/Plug magics, know the basics of Brunch and asset management, server requirements and deployment.
shankardevy

shankardevy OP

As part of my book on Phoenix 1.3, I have published a code repo demonstrating a minimal rebuild of Phoenix to understand various components of Phoenix, Plug, Cowboy.

For details visit Building a Slim Phoenix

Direct link to GitHub repo Slim Phoenix

The repo doesn’t have a lot of code explanations (that comes in the book). However, any curious mind can quickly go through the commit history and see what is happening.

As always, feedbacks are more than welcome

love,
Shankardevy

idi527

idi527

Maybe rename put_res_* functions to put_resp_* for clarity?

shankardevy

shankardevy OP

yep, I will change it :wink: Good catch.

voger

voger

Do you have any estimation when it will be available?

shankardevy

shankardevy OP

I am planning to release by this month end. But can get delayed if things don’t work as planned. Also most of the topics covered are different from what Programming Phoenix covers to avoid overlaps.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews