isaacsanders

isaacsanders

I find myself coming back to a handful of types that I have recently made modules for, and I believe that others have made libraries to work with, and I wanted to see if we could have a discussion about the appropriate names for some types.

The types I keep on encountering and the names that I have chosen for them:

@typedoc """
A nullable value.
""" 
@type optional(a) :: a | nil when a: term()

@typedoc """
The result of an action that can unambiguously fail, e.g. `Map.fetch/2`
"""
@type maybe(a) :: {:ok, a} | :error when a: term()

@typedoc """
The result of an action that fails multi-modally and may be handled per failure mode.
"""
@type either(x, a) :: {:ok, a} | {:error, x} when a: term(), x: term()

What do y’all think?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

jeremyjh

jeremyjh

I don’t think maybe or either are the most intuitive names for non-Haskellers. I call your either one result in my projects.

@type result(x, a) :: {:ok, a} | {:error, x} when a: term(), x: term()

By the way, Dialyzer doesn’t unify type variables so that signature is functionally no different from

@type result(x, a) :: {:ok, a} | {:error, a} when a: term()

Or the more idiomatic

@type result(x, a) :: {:ok, term()} | {:error, term()}

Exceptional calls it a TaggedStatus but doesn’t define a @type for it that I could find.

isaacsanders

isaacsanders OP

Are you saying there is no functional value to using parameters in types in Elixir?

jeremyjh

jeremyjh

I can’t think of any, other than it could be shorter in some cases. Sometimes I think it’s good documentation to use the same type var where it should be unified, but it tends to mislead people about Dialyzer’s capability.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I don’t think that these newly defined types make a lot of sense, because it is an extra layer of indirection a newcomer has to get used to when encountering either(x, y) in the return type of a function.

I do think that it would make sense if we somehow standardize the naming for thesee things, however. There are a couple of libraries that work on structures of the shape {:ok, a} | {:error, b} (and the less common {:ok, a} | :error), but there is no real consensus on the naming of these structures.
I think that names like ‘Result Tuple’, ‘OK Tuple’, ‘Error Tuple’, ‘Success Tuple’ are frequently used (by e.g. ok_jose, if_ok, ok, fun_land) but they are not the only ones. I know that exceptional uses ‘tagged status’ to indicate these structures, and maybe there are even others.

For instance, I’m not sure if Witchcraft also defines Maybe/Result monads based on tuples of this specific format, or not.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

It defines custom structures. It’s a library of design, not of efficiency. :slight_smile:
(Well not witchcraft itself as it’s a library to build such things, but the ones built on it is.)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews