mruoss
I’m having a hard time understanding the file server concept in Erlang. From the docs I came up with some assumptions, but I’m not sure they actually hold.
So I assume that this only makes a difference if you’re running multiple nodes, right? Does the file server work on all nodes simultaneously? I.e. if I call the Elixir function File.exists?/2 and I don’t pass the :raw option, is it going to return true if the file exists on the file system of any one node? Also if I call File.open/2, does it open the file on any node if it exists, even if it does not exist on the node where the call is made?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
There’s no difference.
:fileis for handling concurrent file access within a single beam instance (besides:raw). So multiple processes on the same instance trying to work with files. It’s doing nothing for distributed nodes afaik.Each node has it’s own independant file server.
mruoss
Thanks for your answer. In that case I don’t get the
:rawoption. What is the difference if I use it or not?LostKobrakai
You have the same problem you have with multiple nodes with multiple processes. Without
:rawall file operations go through the file server, which can coordinate concurrent access by multiple processes. With:rawonly a single process can access the file at a time, as otherwise concurrent access (especially for writes) can corrupt the file.mruoss
Oh I think I know now. It’s just that with
:rawyou can’t use a remote file server but it’s faster. If you wan’t to open files remotely as described in this post, you can’t pass:raw.