akin
Questions abut Spark
I am working on an Elixir library that provides a Domain-Specific Language (DSL). I plan to use the Spark library and have a few questions regarding its implementation in a project. My questions are as follows:
- With Spark, how do you implement the actual functionality of your DSL? Specifically, once you have defined your sections and entities, how do you define the code that will be quoted by each section and entity?
- Am I correct in assuming that the sections and entities are macros that quote code, or is there something fundamental about Spark’s operation that I’m missing?
- My library focuses more on using a single macro with numerous options rather than nesting multiple macros. I’m primarily interested in Spark for its tooling capabilities. Given this context, do you think Spark would be a good fit for my library?
Any help is welcome.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachdaniel
Hello! So
sparkis primarily designed for helping to build “structural” DSLs. I.e defining data.For example, in Ash Framework, on an
Ash.ResourceThat is a section called
:attributes, with an entity called:attribute. We then extract this using:which gives us, for example:
(the examples are greatly simplified from real life).
So the DSL simply holds the description. It’s just “something else” (whatever else you want) that contains the “actual functionality” of the DSL. You can leverage it at compile time to do code generation, or at runtime to interpret the data structure however you like.
If you want things to happen “in the module”, then you can use transformers, i.e
If you’re looking to write something like a single macro that contains some kind of customized imperative/declarative/expression language, then spark is unlikely to help you.
i.e if you’re looking to make something like
NXor something like Ecto’sEcto.Querymacros.akin
Thank you very much for respond to my questions. Yes, I want to write something like single macro with multiple declarative configurations, so I’ll be looking into other solutions beyond Spark.