lars

lars

Hi there, I’m new to this all, so please bear with me.

I rebuilt a part in our system using Flow with a couple .window_join, meaning 3 flows in total joined together. When I execute my test suite the functionality passes in about 2/3 of running mix test and in about 1/3 it crashes with segmentation fault (exit code 139). Very rarely I also get a crash w/ bus error (exit code 138) and it only once crashed writing an erl_crash.dump.

I tried to strip it down to some minimal code I could share indicating the crash, but since there are a bunch of moving parts involved, I wasn’t lucky so far.

It seems the erl_crash.dump does not contain sensitive data, please correct me, if I’m wrong here. So I could share the file, if this is helpful.

$ elixir -v
Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.4.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe] [dtrace]

Elixir 1.9.1 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 22)

What should I do? Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

lars

lars OP

Was able to boil the code down to 4 lines provoking the crash, see: GitHub - larskluge/crash: Trigger a Segmentation Fault · GitHub

yurko

yurko

Ran it few times, seems to work fine:

Finished in 0.04 seconds
1 doctest, 1 test, 0 failures

Randomized with seed 511061
elixir -v
Erlang/OTP 21 [erts-10.3.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Elixir 1.9.1 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 21)

You might want to try to downgrade your OTP. I’m on Ubuntu 18.04

lars

lars OP

Very interesting! Thanks for looking into this @yurko!

Will likely continue the conversation here now: segmentation fault · Issue #89 · dashbitco/flow · GitHub

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

What do the first 4 lines of erl_crash.dump say? Especially the line starting with “Slogan:”? It should tell you why Erlang crashed.

lars

lars OP

Sorry, had to hand in my Mac for repair and phone can’t open a text file.. however, here is the dump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bec7kevyc795gm/2019-07-30%20erl_crash.dump?dl=0

Thanks!

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

╰─➤  curl -sL https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bec7kevyc795gm/2019-07-30%20erl_crash.dump?dl=0 | head
=erl_crash_dump:0.5
Tue Jul 30 17:48:21 2019
Slogan: bad header tag 0
System version: Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.4.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe] [dtrace]
Compiled: Thu Jul 11 12:57:25 2019
Taints: crypto,asn1rt_nif
Atoms: 27121
Calling Thread: scheduler:5
=scheduler:1
Scheduler Sleep Info Flags: SLEEPING | POLL_SLEEPING | TSE_SLEEPING | WAITING
rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

The question is of course what the “bad header tag” means as a reason for the erlang to crash? :wink:

I asked in the erlang slack and got the reply that it comes from a corrupted map. I am guessing, GUESSING mind you, that it may come from a NIF which constructs a badly formed map.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

It could be a NIF, but corrupted map sounds like an issue I heard in OTP recently that has a PR fixing it, but I thought that was in 22, not 21…

yurko

yurko

yes, 21 is working, the crush was reproducible in 22 and then went to segmentation fault · Issue #89 · dashbitco/flow · GitHub and Redirecting…

lars

lars OP

Sorry, a bit late here. I’m back online now. However, @yurko already linked all important resources. The issue is already fixed and will go out with the next Erlang patch release. Thank you all for your support!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews