cblavier

cblavier

Hi there :waving_hand:

I’m the author of phx_component_helpers and I have a recurring complaint of users regarding the CSS extension feature. I’m struggling to find a solution to this issue. :exploding_head:

The purpose of this feature is to build components with default CSS classes and extend its classes when using the component. For instance a component can have following default style: border border-gray-400 bg-red :red_circle: If I use it and extend its style with bg-blue the resulting CSS will be border border-gray bg-blue :blue_circle:

We actually replace all classes from default styling having the same prefix (everything before first hyphen). It’s kinda working for a lot of cases but if you want to extend border border-2 border-orange-500 with border-red-500 it will be a little too greedy and replace all border classes resulting in border-red-500 instead of border border-2 border-red-500.

The code is right there: phx_component_helpers/lib/phx_component_helpers/css.ex at main · cblavier/phx_component_helpers · GitHub

Another case completely defeating my prefix base approach is when you use multiple Tailwind classes that deal with the same CSS properties but do not share any common prefix. For instance you may want to extend a component using block (in CSS it’s display: block;) with flex (in CSS it’s display: flex;)

It looks like I might need some specific Tailwind related code dealing with Tailwind semantics. Do you know where I could find some JSON (or so) metadata regarding the whole Tailwind CSS class hierarchy?

Any other idea?

:folded_hands:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

cmo

cmo

My instinct would be not to do that sort of thing at all. Sounds like a lot of work for something that will be confusing and/or brittle.

cblavier

cblavier OP

Sounds wise indeed! :owl:
Let’s see what other folks might think of this feature :thinking:

Eiji

Eiji

I will support something like:

<MyComponents.component cmp-color="red-500"/>
# and then
color = assigns["cmp-color"] || "orange-500"
~H"""
<span class={"border border-2 border-#{color}"}>
  …
</span>
"""

plus some extras like:

# override class
<MyComponents.component class="btn btn-primary"/>

# merge base classes with theme classes
# default_comp_classes = ["border"]
<MyComponents.component theme-classes={~w[border-2 border-red-500]}/>

# or merge base classes + theme classes with extra classes
# default_comp_classes = ["border border-2 orange-red-500"]
<MyComponents.component classes={["color-red-500"]}/>
cblavier

cblavier OP

One of a my teammates just had an idea I found clever and not too brittle (ping @cmo): extend component CSS classes with explicit class removal or additions.

A button component with following default CSS: block border border-2 border-gray-500 would be used like this:

<.button class="!block flex !border-gray-* border-blue-300"/>

The ! is used to remove classes.
So the previous example would produce flex border border-2 border-blue-300.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews