Rehan

Rehan

Hello Community,

I’m trying to configure multiple wifi networks to my wlan0 using vintage_net.
I want understand more about assigning priority to the networks. I was able to set priority and observed that network with higher priority is selected. Sharing an example i used

VintageNet.configure("wlan0", %{
  type: VintageNetWiFi,
  vintage_net_wifi: %{
    networks: [
      
      %{
        ssid: "TestWifi1",
        psk: "Test1234567",
        key_mgmt: :wpa_psk,
        priority: 2
      },
      %{
        ssid: "TestWifi2",
        psk: "Test1234567@sor",
        key_mgmt: :wpa_psk,
        priority: 1
      }
    ]
  },
  ipv4: %{method: :dhcp}
})

Referring to above example, I observed wlan0 get connected to TestWifi1
I do have few question related to this

  1. Is there any limit to priority
  2. Is there any other method to assign priority
  3. priority should always be integer? or it can be string?
  4. I was not able to find any documentation related to this, if someone can point me to any documentation

Thanks & Regards

Showing Posts 1 to 1

fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

VintageNetWiFi’s parameters translate pretty much verbatim to those used by wpa_supplicant, so the example wpa_supplicant.conf usually has the best information.

Here’s the relevant section about priority:

# priority: priority group (integer)
# By default, all networks will get same priority group (0). If some of the
# networks are more desirable, this field can be used to change the order in
# which wpa_supplicant goes through the networks when selecting a BSS. The
# priority groups will be iterated in decreasing priority (i.e., the larger the
# priority value, the sooner the network is matched against the scan results).
# Within each priority group, networks will be selected based on security
# policy, signal strength, etc.
# Please note that AP scanning with scan_ssid=1 and ap_scan=2 mode are not
# using this priority to select the order for scanning. Instead, they try the
# networks in the order that used in the configuration file.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews