CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine

I have just started performance testing for mozart (BPM platform) and I am seeing something I don’t understand and am hoping to get some advice.

I have a GenServer module named ProcessEngine. Instances of this module are spawned via a DynamicSupervisor.

Each ProcessEngine instance spawned is initialized with a data structure representing a defined business process. To clarify, a “business process” is not an Elixir process.

The ProcessEngine instances runs until the “business process” has ran out of work to do, that is, it has finished it’s intended function.

So, here is the issue that I am trying to understand.

If I spawn 1,000 GenServers, they finish execution in about 300,000 microseconds:

iex [09:24 :: 6] > :timer.tc(fn -> run_process_n_times(%{}, :process_with_single_service_task, 1000) end)
{287086, :ok}

If I spawn 10 times that number, i.e. 10,000, they finish execution in 26,602,559, or about 100 times longer than the execution of a 1000 instances.

iex [09:24 :: 8] > :timer.tc(fn -> run_process_n_times(%{}, :process_with_single_service_task, 10000) end)
{26602559, :ok}

So, executing 10 times more GenServer instances takes 100 times the time to complete. I had assumed that execution time would increase linearly with the number of GenServer instances.

If I run the observer, I do see scheduler utilization go to 100% for 2 out of 12 schedulers. It’s always scheduler 1 & 2 that to to 100%. Couple of questions:

Why don’t I see more schedulers become active?
Is the 100% for two schedulers indicative of a problem?

Finally, is there any advice on how to analyze this?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Are your GenServers CPU-bound?

CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine OP

Good question, but sorry. How do I determine this? I don’t see this info available in the observer app.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Can you show your “run n times” function?

CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine OP

Sure, this file:

https://github.com/CharlesIrvineKC/mozart/blob/main/lib/mozart/performance/demo.ex

the last function in the file.

If anyone cares to run these tests themselves, it wouldn’t require too much work:

Paste to iex:

:observer.start()
import Mozart.Performance.Demo
clear_and_load()
spawn(fn -> :timer.tc(fn -> run_process_n_times(%{}, :process_with_single_service_task, 10000) end) end)

Thanks!

CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine OP

One thing that doesn’t look right in the observer System panel is the “Run Queue”. It stays consistently at 2. I would think it would go higher.

CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine OP

I discovered that each GenServer was getting shutdown after about one half of a millisecond. I increased the alive time of the GenServer to several seconds. When I did this, all 12 of the schedulers became utilized. I don’t understand this completely, but it kind of makes sense. So, that was one issue.

The second issue is that processing time doesn’t increase linearly with the number of processes serviced. I am still trying to figure that out.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

One thing that’s not helping concurrency: doing work in init means that start_link takes longer to return. Consider moving the code from ProcessEngine.init to a handle_continue callback.

Another thing that isn’t helping concurrency: init and execute both need to make calls to singleton processes (ProcessModelService and ProcessService)

With a nearly 100x increase based on 10x more input, I’d start by carefully looking at where data’s being collected in the code; all it takes is one List.append that’s called per-ProcessEngine to make things quadratic.

Some other random thoughts:

  • terminate doesn’t do any formatting on the reason argument, so if you call Process.exit(some_pid, :shutdown) (eg) you’ll get :shutdown as an argument - and the ProcessEngine target will crash!

  • harping on the same point: terminate is not guaranteed, there are lots of (admittedly uncommon) scenarios where it will not run before the process disappears. Consider checkpointing the state during intermediate steps, if “resuming” is important.

  • consider extracting type-specific code like this to a per-step (or per-type) “callback module”

CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine OP

@al2o3cr

Oh Wow. That is very helpful. I appreciate your effort. I’ll get back to you. Thanks

CharlesIrvine

CharlesIrvine OP

One thing that’s not helping concurrency: doing work in init means that start_link takes longer to return. Consider moving the code from ProcessEngine.init to a handle_continue callback.

I did that.

Another thing that isn’t helping concurrency: init and execute both need to make calls to singleton processes (ProcessModelService and ProcessService)

What you say is true, but why is making calls to those servers an issue? Perhaps you are alluding to it below, but I’m not sure.

With a nearly 100x increase based on 10x more input, I’d start by carefully looking at where data’s being collected in the code; all it takes is one List.append that’s called per-ProcessEngine to make things quadratic.

Some other random thoughts:

I had read that a terminate call isn’t guaranteed. Pity, I thought. Wonder why that is? I’ll need to research what might cause the call to be skipped.

If I did checkpointing it would probably be done frequently and it might be a big hit to performance. Maybe an occasional missed terminate call might be worthwhile.

  • consider extracting type-specific code like this to a per-step (or per-type) “callback module”

That sounds like a sensible thing to to and a good exercise also.

Really appreciate your feedback.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Because every OTP process processes messages one by one. If you have 100+ processes each wanting something from that “central” process then that’s an obvious and very major bottleneck.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews