byron
Hi guys,
I battling to decrypt a string that was encrypted using this
encrypt | Dart package. link in flutter.
AES Encryption
privateKEY = “%8R=&PfC5SXT:pRF2vF[5zCTy}M7CX]J”
privateINV = “}Lq5Wu~nkr\Vdfm~”
Encrypted string = “rMCS4wiyvQH7nXx6slP6rA==”
Actual massage should be = “Fantastic”
The flutter code to encrypt is
Using this library to encrypt text only.
import 'package:encrypt/encrypt.dart';
import 'package:flutter_dotenv/flutter_dotenv.dart';
class EncryptAESData {
static Encrypted encrypted;
static var decrypted;
static String encryptAES(data) {
final key = Key.fromUtf8(dotenv.env['privateKEY']);
final iv = IV.fromUtf8(dotenv.env['privateINV']);
final encrypter = Encrypter(AES(key));
encrypted = encrypter.encrypt(data, iv: iv);
return encrypted.base64;
}
static decryptAES(data) {
final key = Key.fromUtf8(dotenv.env['privateKEY']);
final iv = IV.fromUtf8(dotenv.env['privateINV']);
final encrypter = Encrypter(AES(key));
String decrypted = "";
if (data != "") {
try {
decrypted = encrypter.decrypt(Encrypted.fromBase64(data), iv: iv);
} catch (exception) {
decrypted = data;
}
}
return decrypted;
}
}
I’m getting nothing back and i suspect the :crypto.crypto_one_time function i’m using is getting the wrong binary arguments
Here is an example of how i’m getting the binary from the string, if thats even what i’m supposed to do
b_password = :crypto.hash(:md5, privateKEY)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ChristopheBelpaire
It should work with something like :
but your iv length is 15 bytes, and it should be 16 :
byron
Thanks for the reply ChristopheBelpaire,
does the iv argument have to be binary when given to the one_time function and the key can be a string?
because when i try Base.decode16! the key i get (ArgumentError) non-alphabet digit found: “%” as that how other Help with crypto module - crypto_one_time method - (ArgumentError) argument error Issue - #2 by NobbZ users have done
al2o3cr
:crypto.hashis definitely digging in the wrong spot.The post from @ChristopheBelpaire almost has it, but the cipher + mode need to match the defaults that
encryptis using:AESModeisSIC, also known asCTRIn addition, the given IV has an explicit
\in it, so it needs to be written as\\inside".Putting it all together:
HOWEVER
Using a fixed IV in CTR mode is BAD. Real bad. The original code you posted gets the IV from
dotenv, which leads me to believe the same value is used for every encryption.Reusing an IV for CTR mode means that an attacker that knows ONE plaintext and the corresponding ciphertext can read ANY shorter ciphertext, because the “key stream” is identical for every encryption operation.
A demonstration:
This prints:
Generally, you want to use a mode like CTR with an IV that is sent along with the encrypted result and “never” reused. I put “never” in quotes because most implementations settle for something like a 128-bit cryptographically-random number, which could technically repeat if you collected about 2^64 of them but is close enough to “never” for most purposes.
byron
Hi al2o3cr You legend! this worked very well, may i ask why there is “\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a\a” after the result?
voltone
That’s PKCS#7 padding, to make the message length a multiple of the block size. You can strip it by passing
encrypt: false, padding: :pkcs_paddinginstead of justfalseas the last argument.