silverdr

silverdr

I apologise for the misfire → previous topic of the same summary got deleted by my mistake. Now once more

After updating to Erlang/OTP 25 I get:

dependency :neotoma is using Rebar 2, which is no longer maintained and no longer works in recent Erlang/OTP versions. Remove the :manager option or set it to :rebar3 instead

Any quick fix for this? Other than downgrading Erlang/OTP :wink:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

How is it specified in your mix.exs? IIRC we will only use Rebar2 if you explicitly opt-in to that.

silverdr

silverdr OP

Neither Rebar nor Neotoma is specified there. It is a dependency of something. Looking at the mix.lock file it looks like neotoma is pulled by “slime”. I checked its issues and found the suggestion:

https://github.com/slime-lang/slime/issues/170#issuecomment-1099148288

to specify neotoma explicitly in the mix.exs file

{:neotoma, "~> 1.7.3", manager: :rebar3, override: true},

but this didn’t help. So things apparently changed but maybe there’s still a way to override this?

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

What you wrote should be enough to overwrite it in your mix.exs file. If not, please open up an issue in Elixir’s issues tracker with the specific steps to reproduce it. :slight_smile:

silverdr

silverdr OP

This worked with OTP 24. With 25 things still break:

=ERROR REPORT==== 23-May-2022::19:12:50.195973 ===
beam/beam_load.c(551): Error loading function rebar3:parse_args/1: op put_tuple u x:
  please re-compile this module with an Erlang/OTP 25 compiler

escript: exception error: undefined function rebar3:main/1
  in function  escript:run/2 (escript.erl, line 750)
  in call from escript:start/1 (escript.erl, line 277)
  in call from init:start_em/1
  in call from init:do_boot/3

Well, I should of course have mentioned that it breaks differently. I probably now need to “recompile” rebar itself

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

That’s another error! It can be addressed by running mix local.rebar.

silverdr

silverdr OP

Yes, TNX.

QuyenDoan

QuyenDoan

Hi! I also had the same issue. But cannot solve it using mix local.rebar :frowning: . Can someone help me? Or this is an issue of OTP erlang 25?

silverdr

silverdr OP

I guess if it was, then “rcompiling” with mix local.rebar wouldn’t help in my case but it did. So it is more probably your local setup that causes trouble. Maybe you could give a bit more info/context following the thread from the top

QuyenDoan

QuyenDoan

@silverdr . I did these steps:

  1. delete _build and deps folders
  2. add to mix.exs file this row
{:neotoma, "~> 1.7.3", manager: :rebar3, override: true},
  1. mix deps.get
  2. mix local.rebar (confirmed 2 times Yes to replace the existed rebar and rebar3 folders)
  3. mix phx.server

And my log as below.

dependency :neotoma is using Rebar 2, which is no longer maintained and no longer works in recent Erlang/OTP versions. Remove the :manager option or set it to :rebar3 instead
==> toml
Compiling 10 files (.ex)
Generated toml app
=ERROR REPORT==== 3-Jun-2022::22:33:15.955424 ===
beam/beam_load.c(148): Error loading module rebar:
please re-compile this module with an Erlang/OTP 25 compiler

escript: exception error: undefined function rebar:main/1
in function escript:run/2 (escript.erl, line 750)
in call from escript:start/1 (escript.erl, line 277)
in call from init:start_em/1
in call from init:do_boot/3
==> hypervine
** (Mix) Could not compile dependency :neotoma, “/Users/admin/.mix/rebar compile skip_deps=true deps_dir=”/Users/admin/hypervine-backend/_build/dev/lib"" command failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with “mix deps.compile neotoma”, update it with “mix deps.update neotoma” or clean it with “mix deps.clean neotoma”

silverdr

silverdr OP

I think you may need to add the neotoma line before the package that neotoma is a dependency of. Please check if that’s the case in your mix.exs

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

HR_Sportograf
Backend Developer for Elixir (F/M/D) - Shape the Future of Sports Photography with Us!(German Version below) About us We are athletes –...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews