Nerves and python

I recently started with playing with nerves and a raspberry pi (and I totally love it so far!).

One thing I noticed is that a huge amout of resources are available for programming the pi in python. For some things it would be really nice to be able to use python dependencies in my projects.

A concrete example is the following. I was thinking about automating a gopro with my raspberry and nerves, now it looks like the main api that’s available is in python (

I was wondering if it is possible to use this api from nerves? Maybe like done here: If I take this approach, can I find more information on this, how to include dependencies in the python build, doing a pip install upfront,…
Or would you say, try to stay away from it and go from a REST api, something that’s not officially supported, but that should work for my use case.

You will have to get pretty familiar with Buildroot. You won’t just get to pip install something. You will have to be pretty diligent about what dependencies you have/need. I use some Python deps on a production Nerves app, and there’s no real easy way of setting it up. The good thing is most python packages are fairly simple wrappers around existing C/C++ code, so it should be pretty easy to port any existing code if you are familiar with those languages.