Nerves install failing on Mac OS: "autoconf: command not found"

Hello,

While installing nerves on MacOS following the installation guide at Installation — nerves v1.9.1 I completed the MacOS section and then proceeded to the “All Platforms” section. Everything was going well until I hit the following step:

asdf install erlang 21.1

Where I keep getting the following error:

=== running autoconf in lib
    ./otp_build: line 319: autoconf: command not found
    make: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
    <$HOME>/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_21.1/otp_src_21.1/configure  --cache-file=/dev/null --enable-darwin-64bit --with-ssl=/usr/local/opt/openssl
    ./otp_build: line 338: ./configure: is a directory

It is correct I do not have a program installed called “autoconf”. I should also note that I have already installed Elixir and Erlang versions prior to starting down the asdf installation path. (Not sure if that is a problem or not. It was not specified on the process to follow if there was pre-existing Elixir/Erlang setup).

Thanks

1 Like

In the asdf Erlang readme is a section “before asdf install” or something like that, it has a subsection for osx, explaining the installation of its prerequisites via brew: asdf-erlang/README.md at master · asdf-vm/asdf-erlang · GitHub

OSX

Install the build tools brew install autoconf

For building with wxWidgets (start observer or debugger!) brew install wxmac

5 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply.

I think this is already installed.

15:25 $ brew install wxmac
Warning: wxmac 3.0.4_1 is already installed and up-to-date
To reinstall 3.0.4_1, run brew reinstall wxmac

I was actually using the Installation — nerves v1.10.5 URL. The first two steps are different.

brew update
brew install fwup squashfs coreutils xz

That worked!! Thank you for the quick reply!!

1 Like

Thanks, this helped me out!