sebastianseilund

sebastianseilund

Hi Nerves friends,

I’m running Nerves on Raspberry Pi 5 and want to record video with my Raspberry Pi Camera Module 3.

On both a brand new mix nerves.new firmware burn and with nerves_livebook_rpi5.fw, I get this:

iex(1)> cmd("libcamera-hello --list-cameras")

No cameras available!
0

On another SD card I’m running Raspbian, and it works just fine:

Has anybody tried Nerves + Raspberry Pi 5 + Camera Module 3, or have any ideas what I’m missing?

Thanks :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

entone

entone

I added support for the new Global Shutter Camera to the rpi4 module. Should be a very similar update. I’m sure the team would love a contribution. adds the imx296 overlays for the Raspberry Pi Global Shutter Camera by entone · Pull Request #221 · nerves-project/nerves_system_rpi4 · GitHub

sebastianseilund

sebastianseilund OP

Camera Module 3 seems to be using imx708, which is already present in nerves_system_rpi5 in the way you added imx296 in the linked PR.

whereispaul

whereispaul

I am also running into this on the master nerves rpi 5 branch. Strangely, dmesg shows my imx708 is detected, but libcamera-vid does not show any cameras.

Has anyone gotten this setup to work?

Grantimus9

Grantimus9

I’m working on getting the IMX296 Global Shutter Camera working on Raspberry Pi 5. I think there’s a few things I’ll need to do. Documenting here.

The plan: 1) update config.txt to NOT autodetect cameras and provide a custom overlay. 2) update fwup.conf to point to the new, modified config.txt.

Nerves seems to support editing the boot partition, where config.txt lives: Advanced Configuration — nerves v1.14.3

I’ve now:

  1. Copied the base config.txt to my config/ folder
cp deps/nerves_system_rpi5/config.txt config/
  1. Copied the fwup.conf to my config/ folder as well
cp deps/nerves_system_rpi5/fwup.conf config/
  1. Updated Config.exs to point to the new fwup.conf
# To use our own fwup.conf, which will pull in our modified /boot/firmware/config.txt
# instead of the default config.txt to support the global shutter camera
config :nerves, :firmware,
  rootfs_overlay: "rootfs_overlay",
  fwup_conf: "config/fwup.conf" 
  1. In config/config.txt found and disabled camera_auto_detect and added dtoverlay=imx296

This Raspberry Pi camera documentation is where I learned that to use the GS camera IMX 296, I can’t have camera auto detection on and also need to add this new overlay.

# Automatically load overlays for detected cameras
# This is disabled for this project which uses an IMX296 Global Shutter Camera
camera_auto_detect=0
# It will default to checking camera connector 1.
dtoverlay=imx296
  1. In my config/fwup.conf, I found (line 12 or 13) and modified where it expects to find config.txt to point to my new config/config.txt:

It now reads:

file-resource config.txt { host-path = "${NERVES_APP}/config/config.txt" }
  1. I ensured I have the camera ribbon cables in correctly. The plastic stiffener faces the CPU on the Raspberry PI 5, a reversal from previous boards. I put the cable into the one marked “cam1” because “If your Raspberry Pi has two camera connectors (Raspberry Pi 5 or one of the Compute Modules, for example), then you can specify the use of camera connector 0 by adding ,cam0 to the dtoverlay that you used from the table above. If you do not add this, it will default to checking camera connector 1.” (Raspberry Pi Docs).

Unfortunately, when I ssh nerves.local to start an iex session on the device, it doesn’t seem to have helped:

cmd("libcamera-still --list")
No cameras available!

or

cmd("libcamera-still -n -v -o /data/test.jpeg")
...elided...
ERROR: *** no cameras available ***

I’ll post a followup if I succeed, but if anyone has any ideas they want to see me try, I’m all ears.

alvises

alvises

I have a similar issue with imx708, you can find a recent conversation about this on slack: Slack . Frank Hunleth (along with the Nerves community) is working on it.

lawik

lawik

Nerves Core Team

@alvises were you bringing the camera kit to NervesConf EU?

alvises

alvises

yeah :smiley:

fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

We’re able to list cameras and take images now. Update to the nerves_system_rpi5 v0.6.3 release and you’ll get the fixes. The change notes have details. Please post if you have any more camera issues.

alfredfriedrich

alfredfriedrich

I am trying to capture video with libcamera-vid and the RPi Camera3 is listed and I can also create jpegs with libcamery-still but running libcamery-vid results an the following error:

iex(17)> cmd “rpicam-vid -t 1000 -o /data/vid”
[0:45:19.682821444] [557]  INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:326 libcamera v0.5.0
[0:45:19.683841672] [558]  INFO RPI pisp.cpp:720 libpisp version 000000000000-invalid 12-10-2025 (22:38:43)
[0:45:19.685148235] [558]  WARN CameraSensorProperties camera_sensor_properties.cpp:473 No static properties available for ‘imx708_wide_noir’
[0:45:19.685167253] [558]  WARN CameraSensorProperties camera_sensor_properties.cpp:475 Please consider updating the camera sensor properties database
[0:45:19.787485708] [558]  WARN CameraSensor camera_sensor_legacy.cpp:501 ‘imx708_wide_noir’: No sensor delays found in static properties. Assuming unverified defaults.
[0:45:19.788254527] [558]  INFO RPI pisp.cpp:1179 Registered camera /base/axi/pcie@1000120000/rp1/i2c@88000/imx708@1a to CFE device /dev/media0 and ISP device /dev/media2 using PiSP variant BCM2712_C0
Preview window unavailable
Mode selection for 640:480:12:P
      SRGGB10_CSI2P,1536x864/0 - Score: 1486.67
      SRGGB10_CSI2P,2304x1296/0 - Score: 1786.67
      SRGGB10_CSI2P,4608x2592/0 - Score: 2686.67
Stream configuration adjusted
[0:45:19.792776996] [557]  INFO Camera camera.cpp:1205 configuring streams: (0) 640x480-YUV420 (1) 1536x864-BGGR_PISP_COMP1
[0:45:19.792992720] [558]  INFO RPI pisp.cpp:1483 Sensor: /base/axi/pcie@1000120000/rp1/i2c@88000/imx708@1a - Selected sensor format: 1536x864-SBGGR10_1X10 - Selected CFE format: 1536x864-PC1B
ERROR: *** Unable to find an appropriate H.264 codec ***
255

libav is not compiled into rpicam-apps and I only can select –-codec yuv420 but the created file is not readable or regongized by ffmpeg.

I tried to compile rpicam-apps and/or libcamera in my custom nerves_system_rpi5 but had no success so far. as I could not find the libav options in any of the packages.

edit: looking at the source:

ifeq ($(BR2_PACKAGE_FFMPEG)$(BR2_PACKAGE_LIBDRM),yy)

it looks like I need to activate ffmpeg and libdrm.. I only tried ffmpeg :roll_eyes:

edit2: this seems to bee the real source:

https://github.com/nerves-project/nerves_system_br/blob/main/package/rpicam-apps/rpicam-apps.mk#L31

The rpicam-apps is provided as an external to buildroot.

edit3: actually I only need to rebuild rbicam-apps after adding ffmpeg as libdrm was already installed as an dependenciy for rpi-libcamera? Still a little bit confused by now… :thinking:

alfredfriedrich

alfredfriedrich

Solved it, I needed to add

BR2_PACKAGE_FFMPEG=y
BR2_PACKAGE_FFMPEG_GPL=y
BR2_PACKAGE_X264=y

to have rpicam-apps compiled with libav and x264 support.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews