Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

Recently I decided to do a Mix Task to run some script files in the project. Being my first Mix Task, I followed a tutorial and got the following structure:

defmodule Mix.Tasks.Deploy do
  use Mix.Task
  

  @shortdoc "Compiles the app for PROD and starts a Rolling Release."
  def run(_) do
    #do really awesome stuff here
end

Problem

We are using credo and one of the warnings it gives me is the following:

┃ [D] :down_right_arrow: Nested modules could be aliased at the top of the invoking module.
┃ lib/mix/tasks/deploy.ex:21:19 #(Mix.Tasks.Deploy.run)

Now, I checked the project dos referring to this error:

And from my understanding I take it I should use a alias somewhere, but I don’t see how.

Question

I can I fix the problem and make the warning go away?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

Matt

Matt

It sounds like you are calling a function like this:

defmodule Mix.Tasks.Deploy do
  use Mix.Task

  def run(_) do
    # doing really cool stuff
    # ...

    Comeonin.Argon2.hashpwsalt("some password")

    # ...
    # more cool stuff
  end
end

What credo is suggesting is to do something like this:

defmodule Mix.Tasks.Deploy do
  use Mix.Task
  alias Comeonin.Argon2

  def run(_) do
    # best programming you have ever seen
    # ...

    Argon2.hashpwsalt("bestpassword")

    # ...
    # more cool programming
  end
end

So, credo is complaining that you are calling a function with nested module names, Comeonin.Argon2.hashpwsalt/1, for example. It wants you to call a function with a singular module name, like Argon2.hashpwsalt/1. So you can use alias for this purpose. The cool think about alias is that it is lexically scoped. This means you can use it within a function :exploding_head: if you need.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Although do note that the “[D] :arrow_lower_right:” part of the “warning” indicates that is is a very low severity “issue”, really more of a suggestion. I don’t think it’s idiomatic Elixir code to alias every single module you reference. In fact I tend to only alias modules that are used very often in the module, leaving a full module reference to indicate that longer module reference is not used/tied as deeply with the rest of the containing module (sorry this is a little hard to follow).

Matt

Matt

I think your reply is meant for @ Fl4m3Ph03n1x?

I do the same, I actually rarely use alias. In fact, I tend not to like using alias often, because I like to know the origin of the functions I am calling. Right or wrong, that is just personal preference on my part though.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I alias out parts that are ‘obvious’, like the main namespace at the very least, sometimes down to the specific function call (import) if perfectly obvious, otherwise I keep a name mapping or 2 or 3 worth of dots.

pferdefleisch

pferdefleisch

I alias a lot because it is easy to see when I use too many aliases.
I see this as a code smell that is telling me I have too many dependencies.

But I agree that this warning is a bit too pedantic and shouldn’t give a non-zero return.
Credo forcing aliasing of hex dependencies pushed me to bring this old thread to life :slight_smile:

Adzz

Adzz

I think the main thing is to make sure you don’t lose the ability to search (grep) for the full module name and have all the places where it is used to show up:

defmodule My.Module.Name do
end

defmodule My.OtherModule.Name do
end

defmodule Some.Other do
  # This is a bad alias because if I search for `My.Module.Name` this wont show up
  alias My.Module
  # This is fine, but not always neccessary - you can use the fully qualified name
  alias My.Module.Other
  # In the case of conflicting final names, this is preferred, because I can still search 
  # for `My.OtherModule.Name` and have this show up.
  alias My.OtherModule.Name, as: OtherModuleName
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews