mmport80
A colleague came to me with something similar to the following puzzle,
iex(9)> defmodule Record do defstruct [a: 1, b: 2, c: 3] end
iex(10)> defmodule State do defstruct [d: 4, e: 5, f: %Record{}] end
iex(13)> record1 = %State{}
%State{d: 4, e: 5, f: %Record{a: 1, b: 2, c: 3}}
iex(14)> record1 = %{record1 | f: %Record{c: 9}}
%State{d: 4, e: 5, f: %Record{a: 1, b: 2, c: 9}}
iex(15)> record2 = %{record1 | f: %Record{a: 9}}
%State{d: 4, e: 5, f: %Record{a: 9, b: 2, c: 3}}
iex(16)> record3 = %{record2 | f: %Record{c: 9}}
# problem is here… ":a" is "1" again
%State{d: 4, e: 5, f: %Record{a: 1, b: 2, c: 9}}
iex(17)> record4 = %{record3 | f: %Record{a: 9, c: 9}}
OK, stupid.
I see the problem, we are creating new records each time : )
Interesting how trying to explain a problem, also solves it : ))
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
peerreynders
I think you may be seeing the remnants of a statement based mindset. Because from the script it isn’t clear whether you actually wanted different records or whether you are simply advancing the state of the same conceptual record - for which Elixir does allow rebinding.
The script still has that imperative “do this, then do that” kind of feel (which is typical for scripts anyway but I assume that the original code looked like that as well).
I personally have no qualms having lots of well-named single line functions that also use argument pattern matching for destructuring; essentially allowing for “composed functions” (not necessarily in the FP sense and not always with the pipeline operator) so that if possible the code can look more like a progressive flow of value transformations rather than some step by step recipe.
mmport80
yeh normally I do
|>all the way, and (luckily) never find myself in this situation…