jdj_dk

jdj_dk

Hi all you lovely people

I have a situation where I have to import a data set with multiple items where each has some other items associated with them.
To do this I’ve created a nested Ecto.Multi where the outer one map through all items a each time creates and execute an Ecto.Multi.new

A part of the code can be seen below:

def import_issues(issues, %Pace.GitRepository{board: board = %Pace.Board{}} = git_repository) do
    Ecto.Multi.new
    |> Ecto.Multi.run(:insert_issues, fn(_) ->
      issues
      |> Enum.map(&insert_data_for_issue(&1, board, git_repository))
      |> all_ok?
    end)
    |> Repo.transaction
  end

  defp insert_data_for_issue(%Pace.Bitbucket.Issue{} = issue, board, git_repository) do
    column = find_board_column(board, issue)
    reporter_user = Pace.Accounts.find_by_token_uuid(issue.reporter.uuid)
    card_params = prepare_card_params(issue, board, git_repository)

    Ecto.Multi.new
    |> create_card(reporter_user, column, card_params)
    |> create_remote_issue(issue, git_repository)
    |> create_comments(issue, board, git_repository)
    |> Repo.transaction
  end

This is all well and fine until I started making negative tests forcing the inner transaction to fail. This creates the following error:

** (CaseClauseError) no case clause matching: {:error, :rollback}
	      (ecto) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:21: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.transaction/4
	      (espec) lib/espec/example_runner.ex:205: ESpec.ExampleRunner.do_run_before/2
	      (espec) lib/espec/example_runner.ex:138: anonymous fn/3 in ESpec.ExampleRunner.run_befores_and_lets/1
	      (espec) lib/espec/example_runner.ex:176: ESpec.ExampleRunner.call_with_rescue/2
	      (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1755: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
	      (espec) lib/espec/example_runner.ex:136: ESpec.ExampleRunner.run_befores_and_lets/1
	      (espec) lib/espec/example_runner.ex:37: ESpec.ExampleRunner.run_example/2
	      (espec) lib/espec/suite_runner.ex:76: ESpec.SuiteRunner.spawn_task/0

I assume this is due to the outer Ecto.Multi expecting error tuples to look like {:error, _} but it is getting {:error, failed_operation, failed_value, changes_so_far}. So my question is, how does one go about solving this? Can one not nest Ecto.Multi like this? And if that is the case, how should I go about this challenge?

Should I instead look into appending Ecto.Multi together?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

jdj_dk

jdj_dk OP

The error came from my all_ok? function which maps all results from map to find a single :error tuple. Fixing this made the nested structure work fine.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews