lessless
Hello peeps,
This is my first post on this forum and it’s partially caused by the amusement and appreciation for Data Analysis and Machine Learning tools that Python devs has, like Tensorflow for example.
I know that historical Python and Erlang was adopted in different fields.
My the question is - what options to learn and experiment an enthusiastic Elixir developer has?
I’m only aware of Handbook of Neuroevolution Through Erlang | Springer Nature Link but it’s already 5 years old.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bbense
Until someone puts in the work to provide an API to the underlying math heavy routines written in C and C++ , it’s unlikely that there will be much available for the BEAM languages. There has been a lot of work in python to make these libraries accessible.
There is a python “port” for the BEAM, http://erlport.org/ that will help somewhat, but the kind of floating point mutable data computations that ML requires really don’t map to the BEAM very well. They don’t map well to python’s compute model well either, but python has a very good interface for working with external libraries.
There are improvements coming in the BEAM ( dirty schedulers) that will help change this situation, but Elixir is starting well behind in this area.
bbense
Saw these on the Elixir Slack, no idea how usable they are:
GitHub - fredwu/stemmer: An English (Porter2) stemming implementation in Elixir. · GitHub
GitHub - fredwu/simple_bayes: A Naive Bayes machine learning implementation in Elixir. · GitHub
simple_bayes - A Simple Bayes (a.k.a. Naive Bayes) implementation in Elixir.
AstonJ
Also look at this thread:
lessless
Recently watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhBEVCgPdg and believe Garett summarized it pretty well