wojtekmach
Hex Core Team
Hey everyone, I’m happy to announce GitHub - erlef/otp_builds: Community-maintained pre-compiled Erlang/OTP for macOS · GitHub.
Example:
$ url=https://github.com/erlef/otp_builds/releases/download/OTP-27.1.2/otp-aarch64-apple-darwin.tar.gz
$ dir=/tmp/otp
$ mkdir $dir ; tar xzf <(curl -fL $url) -C $dir
$ $dir/bin/erl
Erlang/OTP 27 [erts-15.1.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]
Eshell V15.1.2 (press Ctrl+G to abort, type help(). for help)
1>
The goal of the builds is to be as self-contained as possible, i.e. you don’t need to install homebrew, openssl, wxwidgets, etc, it should just work out of the box.
We even have builds for Erlang/OTP master: https://github.com/erlef/otp_builds/releases/download/master-latest/otp-aarch64-apple-darwin.tar.gz.
See GitHub - erlef/otp_builds: Community-maintained pre-compiled Erlang/OTP for macOS · GitHub for more information.
Happy downloading!
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
zachallaun
Cool!
Is the plan to eventually move all pre-compiled OTP builds here, as opposed to just those for MacOS? This would simplify various version management tooling such that it wouldn’t have to choose between this and Hex Bob.
wojtekmach
Yes, I plan to move Bob Ubuntu builds to that repository eventually.
geoffrey
Hi @wojtekmach,
Thank you for the project, it can definitively smooth things to get Erlang up and running on macOS.
I had a question, do you have any recommendations where to install Erlang on macOS? The example you provided is using
/tmpbut I suspect it can’t be a definitive location.Thank you.
wojtekmach
No particular recommendation, I personally like to put stuff like that into ~/opt/thing that mirrors /opt/thing.
Btw and it is not publicized yet but there’s a new Elixir installation method using these precompiled macOS, check out Installing Elixir - The Elixir programming language. The directory it installs them to is ~/.elixir-install/installs.
zacky1972
Hi,
I created
erl_install.shto install community-maintained OTP builds for macOS with verification: