dimitarvp

dimitarvp

As per title, I found this in my supervision tree after generating a Phoenix 1.7 project:

{DNSCluster, query: Application.get_env(:my_app, :dns_cluster_query) || :ignore},

The description on hexdocs – “Simple DNS based cluster discovery.” – does not tell me anything that explains why does a Phoenix project needs it.

Does anybody know?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It’s there to set people up with dns based clustering out of the box, which is a common way of connecting nodes, like on fly.io, but also for things like kubernetes afaik. When disabled is simply does nothing. You can remove it if you don’t need it.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

Yep I’ve noticed that the :ignore parameter to it simply prevents it from starting but I still don’t want the dns_cluster in my dependencies.

Thanks, I am removing it then.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

There is this video where @chrismccord talks about dns_cluster…

…in the distributed Elixir chapter

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews