alvises

alvises

Just published the first part of series of articles aimed to explain the architecture behind a kv-store engine written in Elixir and implemented with logs. During the series I describe (and implement in Elixir just for the purpose of inspection) the concepts of logs and data immutability, sequential writes, index, segments, compaction, memtable, sstable etc..

In this first part:

  • What is a log?
  • Making a KV persistent using a log and an index. Using an example we will use along the series, crypto market prices and trades, we are going to see how to store the values in a log using using an index.
  • LogKV in Elixir. A initial super simple implementation in elixir of a Writer, an Index and a Reader.

Please let me know what you think, available here on the forum as @alvises or on Twitter as @alvisesus

Showing Posts 1 to 1

alvises

alvises OP

Second part of the kv-store engine series. In this part I show how to do a step further, making both keys and values persistent. Taking inspiration from the Bitcask design, I describe how to enhance our implementation and to recover the Index in the case of a failure.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
andreasronge
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ? Wrote a blog on why and what that enables. As I see ...
New
zorn
:pencil: Phoenix’s built-in LiveView test helpers require you to hand-build the form payload and start a fresh pipe after every click. Wo...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews