shanesveller
Introduction and first content post in my new series about running Elixir Phoenix apps on Kubernetes are live! I’m describing an opinionated and focused approach that assumes you are already comfortable with Elixir/Phoenix and with Kubernetes primitives, but not necessarily experienced with marrying the two. I can definitely point people to more resources for the latter as need be, but won’t include them in the posts, except as links.
Feedback and questions are very welcome on basically any medium, but you can reach me on Slack, Twitter, GitHub or here on the forum as @shanesveller.
Trending in Blog Posts
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
Process labels are useful for visualization and debugging. Here’s why you should use them.
New
What happens if you design tools for LLMs instead of letting LLM use human tools ?
Wrote a blog on why and what that enables.
As I see ...
New
:pencil: Phoenix’s built-in LiveView test helpers require you to hand-build the form payload and start a fresh pipe after every click. Wo...
New
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
shanesveller
The second content post of my series, covering Docker-Compose and Docker-friendly migrations, seeds and Distillery config providers is live! Our first taste of Kubernetes in Part 3 should follow sometime this week.
maz
Pretty comprehensive and ambitious posts! I noticed that the ‘kube_native’ app has access to the ecto repo while the ‘kube_native_web’ app does not. I’ve never done an umbrella app before so my question is is this the usual way to configure db access in an umbrella app? Just wondering what you would do if you needed the ‘kube_native_web’ app to use the db/repo?
shanesveller
Thank you!
Yes, and as a matter of fact this is how
mix phx.new --umbrellawill construct your application for you. The super-brief explanation is that you want to have only one umbrella application directly responsible for your Ecto interactions with a given Repo. You have that umbrella app provide an abstraction layer used by your other applications within the umbrella, and they depend on that first one in theirmix.exs. This is mostly just a slight variation on Phoenix Contexts which were introduced in Phoenix 1.3 - the umbrella structure just sort of forces your hand a little bit in terms of providing good isolation/boundaries.shanesveller
The first post that actually touches Kubernetes (and a little bit of Helm is available today in Part 3 of my series, and it’s a dense one! Looking forward to feedback and comments, as always!
stefanluptak
Those 3 parts were really well written and informative. I am looking forward to the next one.
