bmitch

bmitch

I’m new to Elixir and just recently completed “Elixir for Programmers” by pragdave.

I thought creating tic tac toe in Elixir would be a good next step for me to continue my learning.

I’ve created the logic for the tic tac toe game and was wondering if anyone would mind reviewing it and providing me with feedback?

The meat of the code starts from here:

A couple of things I’d like to see if can be improved:

Thanks very much!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

First thing first, always run your code through the elixir formatter. :slight_smile:

The way you are doing it is fine:

    game = Map.put(game, :board, new_board)
    |> Map.put(:whos_turn, rotate_player(who))
    Map.put(game, :game_state, update_game_state(game))

Though more efficiently would probably be (assuming you can write update_game_state to work on the old state):

  defp accept_move(game = %Game{}, who, index, true) do
    %{game |
      board: put_elem(game.board, index, who),
      whos_turn: rotate_player(who),
      game_state: update_game_state(game),
    }
  end

Use not in:

  def check_board({a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i}) when nil not in [a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, u] do
    :draw
  end
  def check_board(no_nils), do: :in_progress

Otherwise there are a few places in code that could be simplified more but I’m a bit busy at moment… ^.^;

yurko

yurko

I’d drop pattern matching and do something like this in the end

def check_board(board) do
  if Enum.count(board, &(&1 != nil)) == 0 do
    :draw
  else
    :in_progress
  end
end

upd it’d be wrong though since tuples are not enumerable in elixir, sorry for the confusion :smiley:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can always Tuple.to_list/1 them, but the pattern matching way is probably a lot more efficient I’d wager, if that even matters. :slight_smile:

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

A really small note about aliasing… You can use MODULE when aliasing the module.

eg.

defmodule Tictactoe.Game do
  alias __MODULE__
end
bmitch

bmitch OP

Thanks very much @OvermindDL1 @yurko and @kokolegorille !! Great feedback.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews