renanmuniz
Hi people!
I’ve just started learning Elixir this week.
I executed this command in iex and the console output was really strange, could anyone tell me why?
Command:
Enum.chunk_every([1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14], 2)
Return:
[[1, 2], [3, 4], [5, 6], ~c"\a\b", ~c"\t\n", ~c"\v\f", [13, 14]]
What happened to the numbers 7,8,9,10,11 and 12?
Thank you all and have a great day!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
shawn_leong
Hey @renanmuniz,
What’s happening is that
[7,8], [9,10], [11, 12]are being interpreted as Charlists.To see it as non-charlists, you can try piping it the result of your Enum.chunk_every/2 into an inspect/2 function.
renanmuniz
Thanks @shawn_leong !
But why this happens only with this numbers(7~12) and not with all of them?
dimitarvp
Because only those are printable (well, in this case they are escape characters for whitespaces but you get the idea).
renanmuniz
So every time we need to check some return value, logging messages for example, we need to use the:
?
LostKobrakai
If you’re interested in the underlying integer values, yes. The problem is that erlang (being the system underlying elixir) does use charlists for text, which you generally also want to be able to read (and not see a list of numbers). Therefore elixir uses a heuristic to figure out which one you might be interested in. That heuristic is imperfect, but better than not having it.
You can find that discussed more elaborately in the docs: List — Elixir v1.20.2
dimitarvp
Yes, kind of. Though in real production systems you want logging and telemetry traces / spans.
As for development environment, you can just create the file
.iex.exsin your project’s root directory and put this there:And you’ll have that behaviour for your each local
iexsession.renanmuniz
Got it, thank you @LostKobrakai!
renanmuniz
Nice! Thanks @dimitarvp!
Think I’m done now!
smathy
*
inspect: [charlists: :as_list]dimitarvp
Thanks, corrected.