rm-rf-etc

rm-rf-etc

This is basically the same question I’ve asked before, I’m just wondering if anything has changed since I last asked, or if there’s any other ways to do this thing that I am doing.

I know there’s been proposals for alternate ways to pipe some input into an argument slot other than the first position, and I understand why those got shot down, so I’m not really asking about that.

Here’s an example of a function I wrote recently, and shows a style I’ve been doing kind of frequently.

  def get_meter(num, total) do
    Decimal.div(num, total)
    |> Decimal.mult(10)
    |> Decimal.round(0)
    |> Decimal.to_integer()
    |> (fn level ->
      Enum.map(0..10, fn ^level -> "|"; _ -> "-" end)
      |> Enum.join()
    end).()
  end

And this is another way to do the same thing, which I kind of like because we don’t have to add the extra parentheses, but we do have to add an extra level of indentation, which I find annoying.

  def get_meter(num, total) do
    Decimal.div(num, total)
    |> Decimal.mult(10)
    |> Decimal.round(0)
    |> Decimal.to_integer()
    |> case do
        level ->
          Enum.map(0..10, fn ^level -> "|"; _ -> "-" end)
          |> Enum.join()
    end
  end

Using case is really nice when we truly have different conditions to handle in different ways, and I love that we can then pipe the result from the case statement/operator/function/macro/whatever-the-correct-term-is into whatever else comes after, but in the example shown, I don’t like it much.

The best alternative I can find to make this a little cleaner would be this:

  def do_func(arg, func), do: func.(arg)

  def get_meter(num, total) do
    Decimal.div(num, total)
    |> Decimal.mult(10)
    |> Decimal.round(0)
    |> Decimal.to_integer()
    |> do_func(fn level ->
      Enum.map(0..10, fn ^level -> "|"; _ -> "-" end)
      |> Enum.join()
    end)
  end

Would be nice if Elixir had a built-in Kernel.do_func/2.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

rm-rf-etc

rm-rf-etc OP

Oh hey! This is not bad! Just realized I could make this small change.

  def do_func(arg, func), do: func.(arg)

  def get_meter(num, total) do
    Decimal.div(num, total)
    |> Decimal.mult(10)
    |> Decimal.round(0)
    |> Decimal.to_integer()
    |> do_func(&Enum.map(0..10, fn ^&1 -> "|"; _ -> "-" end))
    |> Enum.join()
  end
RudManusachi

RudManusachi

Another approach could be to use capture operator & to create anonymous function. Plus after it we could take Enum.join/1 out to the “main pipeline”

  def get_meter(num, total) do
    Decimal.div(num, total)
    |> Decimal.mult(10)
    |> Decimal.round(0)
    |> Decimal.to_integer()
    |> (&Enum.map(0..10, fn ^&1 -> "|"; _ -> "-" end)).()
    |> Enum.join()
  end

However, I think overall this pattern of wrapping code into anonymous function just to fit into pipeline is considered as bad a bad practice and it’s more preferred to break it into separate functions or intermediate values
(see GitHub - lexmag/elixir-style-guide: An opinionated Elixir style guide · GitHub

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

There ya go! =)

rm-rf-etc

rm-rf-etc OP

Sorry to have cut in front of you @RudManusachi.

I hear what you’re saying, but this seems it’s pretty small to break out into a separate function. Mind showing me what you think would be the best practice for this?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Exactly. It is not obvious what the intent of (&Enum.map(0..10, fn ^&1 -> "|"; _ -> "-" end)).() is at all. However if you name it, then it’s a lot clearer.

rm-rf-etc

rm-rf-etc OP

'Aight, good feedback. You all were right, I moved some things around and the code got better. Thanks everyone.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews