ss3681755

ss3681755

I am working on integrating a C++ api with Elixir, by using NIFs. Now whenever I load the NIF, I want to initialize some variables/data which will be persisted across NIF calls. I was trying to achieve the same by load function mentioned in the ERL_NIF_INIT call. But I am observing some weird behavior out of load function. Please have a look at the below mentioned example and then I’ll explain the issue further:

#include <erl_nif.h>

static ERL_NIF_TERM sample(ErlNifEnv *env, int argc, const ERL_NIF_TERM argv[]) {
  return enif_make_atom(env, "ok");
}

static ErlNifFunc nif_funcs[] = {{"sample", 1, sample}};

static int load(ErlNifEnv *env, void **priv_data, ERL_NIF_TERM load_info) {
  try {
    1 / 0; // nif loads if this is the case
    int x = 1 / 0; // float point exception segmentation fault when used this line
  } catch (...) {
    return 1;
  }
  return 0;
}

ERL_NIF_INIT(Elixir.Sample, nif_funcs, load, NULL, NULL, NULL);

Now closely observe the load function containing the try/catch block, when I use 1 / 0; expression in the body of try block, NIF is loaded but when the expression 1 / 0; is replaced by int x = 1 / 0; erlang vm fails to load NIF and crashes with floating point exception segmentation fault even if I have added the try/catch block to handle the exception. Can someone explain this to me? I really need help here.

Here is the elixir code used for interfacing:

defmodule Sample do
  @on_load :load_nifs

  def load_nifs do
    :ok =
      :sample
      |> :code.priv_dir()
      |> Path.join("sample")
      |> :erlang.load_nif("0.0.1")
  end

  def sample(_) do
    raise "sample/1 Function not implemented"
  end
end

Command used to compile NIF g++ -fPIC -shared sample.cpp -o sample.so

P.S. - Thanks for your time to read this, I really appreciate it.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

C++ does not have an exception for a divide by zero, rather that is Undefined Behaviour, meaning the C++ compiler is allowed to do whatever it wants from give you back invalid data to crashing to wiping your entire system, everything is allowed, and a try/catch cannot stop it. This is why untrusted input to division should always be checked for zero first in C/C++.

EDIT: If you’re curious the spec defines it as UB in section 5.6.4 of the C++ standard (at least in the version I have here).

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The word “exception” in that message refers to a hardware exception, not the C++ kind.

In fact, modern compilers don’t generate any code at all for the catch section in your example because they can determine it will never execute:

Note that if you switch to the 1 / 0; version, the compiler omits the division entirely because it sees the result is completely unused. TBH I’m not sure why assigning the value to a local variable (that immediately goes out-of-scope) doesn’t do this too.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Because Undefined Behavior allows for anything, and most of they time they screw with the optimizers in weird ways.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews