Euphorichuman

Euphorichuman

I’m managing my Postgres database with Ecto and I have come across a situation: In some of the fields for some of my records, I save empty values: For this case, it would be an empty list [].

Empty list or nil, which is better or more efficient?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

eksperimental

eksperimental

empty list.
See this PR that was an optimization to MapSet.
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/5954

dorgan

dorgan

Tangential fun fact: In Erlang, the empty list [] is internally called nil, and it has it’s own position in the erlang term ordering :slight_smile:

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I would first and foremost prioritize clarity, then performance here, since the difference is negligible in most cases. If you have a column that can either have a value, or no value, then use nil to mean “no value”. If you have a collection of things and that collection can be empty, then use an [].

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

If you’ve got a JSONB column or a nullable array column, using nil is going to cause the usual SQL NULL behaviors while using [] will not.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

ancatrusca
New episode with Alex Koutmos covering the overlap between Elixir and financial systems - practically, architecturally, and historically....
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews