paseg

paseg

Just started to use NimbleParsec, really nice!

Being a newbie I probably not understand how to best utilize it, but I really really miss a “case insensitive” option on string().

If I would like to match a word, eg "name" in a string, I would like to use the function string("name"). But if the string contains "NAME" or "Name", I will get no match.

I really need the original cases on the string, otherwise I would just use String.downcase, but this is not an option for me.

Any ideas how to best solve this?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

tmbb

tmbb

utf8_char([?n, ?N])
|> utf8_char([?a, ?A])
|> utf8_char([?m, ?M])
|> utf8_char([?e, ?E])

You can also define your own combinator (case_insensitive("name")) that returns the above.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I came here to ask the same question and see if there was a better solution than the one I already have - which is basically the same as the one outlined by @tmbb. I created a helper combinator for it which may help others searching for the same answer. Note my version assumes ASCII input only since that fits the problem domain I am working on.

  def anycase_string(string) do
    string
    |> String.upcase
    |> String.to_charlist
    |> Enum.reverse
    |> char_piper
    |> reduce({List, :to_string, []})
  end

  defp char_piper([c]) when c in ?A..?Z do
    c
    |> both_cases
    |> ascii_char
  end

  defp char_piper([c | rest]) when c in ?A..?Z do
    rest
    |> char_piper
    |> ascii_char(both_cases(c))
  end

  defp char_piper([c]) do
    ascii_char([c])
  end

  defp char_piper([c | rest]) do
    rest
    |> char_piper
    |> ascii_char([c])
  end

  defp both_cases(c) do
    [c, c + 32]
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews