cjbottaro

cjbottaro

I love NimblePool and use it frequently. I’m curious why all Redix pooling libraries use Poolboy instead.

From the NimblePool docs…

you can act directly on the resource, avoiding the data copying, but you need to keep the state of the resource in sync with the process

I take that to mean that you have to make sure the resource is in a good state before returning it via checkout. Which is fine; NimblePool has callbacks to ensure your resource is good before handing them out. I.e. if a Redix process is dead, you can use a NimblePool callback to create a new one.

NimblePool may not be a good option to manage processes.

Why? I understand that the pool itself can become a bottleneck, but that’s easily handled by having multiple pools and randomly selecting one to use.

Thanks for the help.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Great question! Answer added to the README:

NimblePool may not be a good option to manage processes. After all, the goal of NimblePool is to avoid creating processes for resources. If you already have a process, using a process-based pool such as poolboy will provide a better abstraction.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Can somebody give me an example how exactly is NimblePool an actual pool? I’ve read part of its source code and it looks to do exactly the opposite of a pool to me – namely it serializes access to single state / resource.

:thinking:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews