mmmrrr
I’m trying to get GitHub - elixir-desktop/desktop: Building Local-First apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android using Phoenix LiveView & Elixir! · GitHub running.
To get it running one needs erlang compiled against wxwidgets - which I think nix already does, since I can run :observer.start() in iex. But it seems that wxWebView is missing somehow.
I have the following shell.nix:
let
pkgs = import <nixpkgs> {};
unstable = import <nixos-unstable> { config = { allowUnfree = true; }; };
in with pkgs;
stdenv.mkDerivation {
name = "elixir-project";
buildInputs = [
];
nativeBuildInputs = [
unstable.erlang
unstable.elixir
unstable.wxGTK
unstable.gtk3
unstable.webkitgtk
unstable.gcc
unstable.sqlite
];
shellHook = let
in ''
'';
}
Where nixos-unstable is: unstable https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable
Any ideas what’s missing here?
Version: Erlang/OTP 24 [erts-12.1.3] [source] [64-bit] [smp:32:32] [ds:32:32:10] [async-threads:1] [jit] / 24.1.4
Error message becaus of course I forgot posting it:
** (Mix) Could not start application todo_app: exited in: TodoApp.start(:normal, [])
** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {{:EXIT, {{:badmatch, {:error, {{:undefined_function, {:wxWebView, :new, 0}}, [{:wxe_util, :rec, 1, [file: 'wxe_util.erl', line: 110]}, {Desktop.Fallback, :webview_new, 1, [file: 'lib/desktop/fallback.ex', line: 47]}, {Desktop.Window, :init, 1, [file: 'lib/desktop/window.ex', line: 189]}, {:wx_object, :init_it, 6, [file: 'wx_object.erl', line: 404]}, {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 226]}]}}}, [{Desktop.Window, :start_link, 1, [file: 'lib/desktop/window.ex', line: 104]}, {:supervisor, :do_start_child_i, 3, [file: 'supervisor.erl', line: 414]}, {:supervisor, :do_start_child, 2, [file: 'supervisor.erl', line: 400]}, {:supervisor, :handle_start_child, 2, [file: 'supervisor.erl', line: 706]}, {:supervisor, :handle_call, 3, [file: 'supervisor.erl', line: 455]}, {:gen_server, :try_handle_call, 4, [file: 'gen_server.erl', line: 721]}, {:gen_server, :handle_msg, 6, [file: 'gen_server.erl', line: 750]}, {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 226]}]}}, {:child, :undefined, TodoWindow, {Desktop.Window, :start_link, [[app: :todo_app, id: TodoWindow, title: "TodoApp", size: {600, 500}, icon: "icon.png", menubar: TodoApp.MenuBar, icon_menu: TodoApp.Menu, url: &TodoWeb.Endpoint.url/0, app: :todo_app, id: TodoWindow]]}, :permanent, false, 5000, :worker, [Desktop.Window]}}}
(todo_app 1.0.0) lib/todo_app.ex:35: TodoApp.start/2
(kernel 8.1.2) application_master.erl:293: :application_master.start_it_old/4
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
outlog
what wxwidgets version do you have installed? ie. most likely install 3.1.5, then reinstall/compile erlang..
mmmrrr
Tried with
wxGTK31which should be version3.1.4andwxGTKwhich should be2.8.12.1.But I actually don’t know against which version erlang was compiled…
Edit: it seems like it is compiled against 2.8.12.1 [1] - which would make sense. Hm, so I’ll need to patch the erlang package first.
[1] nixpkgs/pkgs/development/interpreters/erlang/generic-builder.nix at c5ed8beb478a8ca035f033f659b60c89500a3034 · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub
outlog
does asdf work on nix? if then probably easier..
mmmrrr
Maybe and definitively not
The cool thing about nix is that you can relatively easily overwrite package definitions and use your own. I’ll try to make it work and report back if I get it working.
At least I now have a starting point for what might be wrong - thanks ^.^