NMAKE: fatal error U1052: file 'Makefile.win' not found ( VIX, Image )

I’m trying to install Image library in Windows 10. So far:

1. I added {:image, "~> 0.14.0"} to mix.exs.
  2. I installed libvips by downloading and extracting 'vips-dev-w64-web-8.13.3’ into my Program Files folder. Then I added vips.exe to the environmental variable PATH.
  3. I added make.exe to PATH from the Visual Studio Code.

When I try to compile my mix project with mix deps.compile I have the following error:

==> vix

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 14.29.30145.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

NMAKE : fatal error U1052: file ‘Makefile.win’ not found
Stop.
could not compile dependency :vix, “mix compile” failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with “mix deps.compile vix”, update it with “mix deps.update vix” or clean it with “mix deps.clean vix”

I suspect I might be missing one of the steps under vix, the library Image is built upon, installation requirements. I’m not sure what is meant neither by ‘pkg-config’ nor ‘libvips with development headers’.

Unfortunately, Windows is not supported at this moment. I will try to find time and look into this. You can track it here Add support for Windows · Issue #79 · akash-akya/vix · GitHub

Not sure if this helps, you should be able to use it in WSL, if you have that option.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try with WSL.

Update: I installed everything with WSL. It’s working flawlessly. :slight_smile: