VictorGaiva

VictorGaiva

I’m currently migrating my codebase to Elixir 1.18.2. I was able to solve all the typing issues, except for one. The following code:

defmodule Run do
  def test do
    try do
      Code.compile_string("a + ")
    rescue
      e ->
        case e do
          %{column: column, snippet: %{offset: offset}} ->
            {:error, column + offset}

          _ ->
            {:error, :unknown}
        end
    end
  end
end

Gives me the following compilation warning:

This could be solved by adding guards, that will allow for infering the types in a future release. But at the moment I’m not able to migrate this code and there is no scapehatch for it.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

VictorGaiva

VictorGaiva OP

Ah, I was able to workaround this warning by creating a ‘sum/2’ function. Since the type checking doesn’t flow throught functions, it works fine.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Sorry, can you show the full code that raises no warning?

VictorGaiva

VictorGaiva OP

Sure

defmodule Run do
  def test do
    try do
      Code.compile_string("a + ")
    rescue
      e ->
        case e do
          %{column: column, snippet: %{offset: offset}} ->
            {:error, sum(column, offset)}

          _ ->
            {:error, :unknown}
        end
    end
  end

  def sum(a, b) do
    a + b
  end
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews