skanel

skanel

I am trying to create blog with phoenix for learning purpose , but just follow the tutorial,here Building a Blog with Phoenix - Playing With Fire

but this blog is using the older version of deps, I am on the final step but facing error, anyone please give me some advice and how to fix it .

article_view.ex

defmodule Pxblog.ArticleView do
use Pxblog.Web, :view
use Timex

def list_date_format(date, format_string \ “%B %d, %Y”) do
<< Ecto.Date.to_iso8601(date) <> “T00:00:00Z” >>
|> DateFormat.parse!(“{ISOz}”)
|> DateFormat.format!(format_string, :strftime)
end
end

post_view.ex

defmodule Pxblog.PostView do
  use Pxblog.Web, :view
  use Timex
  def publish_status(true), do: "Published"
  def publish_status(_), do: "Draft"

  def date_format(date), do: date_format date, "%d %b %Y"

    def date_format(date = %Ecto.DateTime{}, format_string) do
      Ecto.DateTime.to_iso8601(date)
      |> date_formatter(format_string)
    end
    def date_format(date = %Ecto.Date{}, format_string) do
      << Ecto.Date.to_iso8601(date) <> "T00:00:00Z" >>
      |> date_formatter(format_string)
    end
    def date_format(_, _format), do: ""

    defp date_formatter(date, format_string) do
      date
      |> DateFormat.parse!("{ISOz}")
      |> DateFormat.format!(format_string, :strftime)
    end

end

mix.exs

defp deps do
[
{:phoenix, “~> 1.3.0-rc”},
{:phoenix_pubsub, “~> 1.0”},
{:phoenix_ecto, “~> 3.2”},
{:postgrex, “>= 0.0.0”},
{:phoenix_html, “~> 2.10”},
{:phoenix_live_reload, “~> 1.0”, only: :dev},
{:gettext, “~> 0.11”},
{:cowboy, “~> 1.0”},
{:earmark, “~> 0.1”},
{:timex, “~> 3.1”} # BUT in tutorial is using 0.19
]
end

My error

Showing Posts 1 to 7

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Are you on Ecto 2.1+?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You should update phoenix to 1.3.0, not the release candidate

skanel

skanel OP

Oh I see I am using Ecto V2.2

skanel

skanel OP

still the same error

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I have the same error doing the same command… so it must be ~D[2017-09-01] not seen as a date.

iex> ~D[2017-09-01] |>  Ecto.Date.to_string
** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Ecto.Date.to_string/1    
    
    The following arguments were given to Ecto.Date.to_string/1:
    
        # 1
        ~D[2017-09-01]
    
    Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):
    
        def to_string(%Ecto.Date{year: year, month: month, day: day})
    
    (ecto) lib/ecto/date_time.ex:193: Ecto.Date.to_string/1
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You cannot use a non-Ecto.Date with it in to_string without casting it first. So ~D[2017-09-01] |> Ecto.Date.cast() |> Ecto.Date.to_string().

Why are you using Ecto.Date anyway? In Ecto if you use the :date type it uses Elixir’s Date instead of Ecto’s date and it works just all around better.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

The blog post is old and use phoenix 1.1.4. Old post might not work with newer phoenix version.

BTW Ecto.Date is deprecated https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Date.html#content

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews