achenet

achenet

Hello,

I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.

However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error:

** (RuntimeError) The tailwind binary couldn’t be found at: https://github.com/tailwindlabs/tailwindcss/releases/download/v4.1.12/tailwindcss-freebsd-x64

sure enough, the Tailwind Releases Page has no release for FreeBSD-x64.

How can I solve this? Is there a way to get a working Tailwind binary (building it from source maybe?) and tell Phoenix to use that instead?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Schultzer

Schultzer

IMO the best path would be to kick out tailwind and just ship with modern CSS with AI today there is no excuses left for having to pull in a framework that is not portable. Not sure if tailwind’s goal is even to be portable everywhere.

garrison

garrison

The tailwind standalone CLI is built with Bun, and it doesn’t look like they support FreeBSD at this time.

If you want to use Tailwind you should be able to install Node and use it the “normal way”. I would guess the PostCSS path would be the easiest?

I’m a little shocked at how fragmented their installation instructions have become. Stuff like this is why I have sworn off JS dependencies entirely.

garrison

garrison

Out of the frying pan and into the volcano lol

Schultzer

Schultzer

Yeah, and it could be excellent promo for tidewave too.

ostap

ostap

UnoCSS can be a drop-in replacement for Tailwind 4/3 and should work on FreeBSD if you install Node.js. They have a CLI:

ostap

ostap

Nevermind, just realised the original Tailwind CLI has a Node.js-powered version too.

sudo pkg install -y node npm
krasenyp

krasenyp

Ugh, I stumbled upon the same problem and knowing how much I dislike Tailwind, I might just remove it, like @Schultzer said, and continue clean.

achenet

achenet OP

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

I did actually try just making a project without Tailwind, but for my specific use case, having Tailwind does make things easier - basically I’m trying to build a simple todo app that has a sync-engine, so that I can turn off the server, make some changes on one or more of the clients, boot up the server again, and have everything sync. When I make a Phoenix + LiveView without Tailwind, the “new” and “edit” functions are seperate pages, while with Tailwind (which works on Linux), they are all on the same page.

Still, I think in the future just spending a bit of time tweaking the LiveView templates to be what I want may prove a better option than yet another big dependency.

Nevertheless, I tried using Node.js to get Tailwind working:

First I did npm install tailwindcss @tailwindcss/cli, then updated config/config.exs and config/dev.exs to use the new NPM binary.
And then I ran into a bug where daisyui doesn’t really work with Tailwind v4…

I think just modifying the templates to make the New and Edit functions all on one page will be easier in the long run than wading through this dependency quagmire.

Thanks everyone ^^

ostap

ostap

You could’ve gone for the third version of the CLI, which is meant for Tailwind 3:

npm install -D tailwindcss@3

From the Tailwind 3 docs: Installation - Tailwind CSS

adamwight

adamwight

This just became a problem again for me, too. I was already relying on an unofficial build maintained by a kind individual:

# mix tailwind.install https://people.freebsd.org/~dch/pub/tailwind/v3.2.4/tailwindcss-freebsd-x64

Then, after upgrading to FreeBSD-15.0 I get an error when running this binary:

ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.9" not found, required by "inet_gethost"

The failure mode is particularly bad, with infinite restarts silently using 100% CPU.

FreeBSD includes a package for tailwindcss3 (v3.4.17) but and the Elixir glue library can be configured to use a system or custom build:

# which tailwind
/usr/local/bin/tailwind
config :tailwind,
  version: "3.4.17",
  path: "/usr/local/bin/tailwind",
  ...

I run into some trouble with a missing dependency however, I’ll report here once I understand why this is happening:

# mix assets.deploy

Rebuilding...
Error: Cannot find module 'tailwindcss/plugin'

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews