TheSquad
Hi all,
I’m having trouble trying to decrypt in Elixir (using ExCrypto - which is a only a wrapper around crypto and public_key) encrypted by NodeJS Crypto.
Here’s what works :
- encrypt_public in NodeJS → decrypt_private NodeJS (Works)
- encrypt_public in Elixir → decrypt_pricate in Elixir (Works)
But :
- encrypt_public in NodeJS → decrypt_private in Elixir (Does Not Work)
It seems that an encrypt_publicfrom Node, can’t be decrypted by a decrypt_private in Elixir.
I even tried the hard way directly with the Erlang module public_key, it gives me the same result.
Here’s what I tried :
var fs = require("fs")
var crypto = require("crypto")
var rsa_key = fs.readFileSync('./priv/public.key').toString()
var rsa_priv = fs.readFileSync('./priv/private.key').toString()
var buffer = Buffer.from("Hello world")
var encrypted_auth = crypto.publicEncrypt({key: rsa_key}, buffer)
console.log("copy/paste this in iex: ", encrypted_auth.toString("Base64"))
var crypted_buffer = Buffer.from(encrypted_auth)
var decrypted_auth = crypto.privateDecrypt({key: rsa_priv, passphrase: "my_pass_phrase"}, crypted_buffer)
console.log("--- Res: ", decrypted_auth.toString())
But as soon as you copy/paste the Base64 generated in Node Here’s what I get :
key = ExPublicKey.load!("./priv/private.key", "my_pass_phrase")
cipher = "PASTED BASE64 FROM NODE"
ExPublicKey.decrypt_private(cipher, key)
returns :error
I have suspected the rsa padding to be different, but it doesn’t seems to be that… Does anyone have a clue ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
This is just an assumption as I’m on mobile, but have you tried to decode the base64 first?
TheSquad
Yes, the Base64 is valid and the binary is equal to the one I can print on NodeJS
NobbZ
That’s not what I meant. I meant decoding it into a binary and then decrypt that.
TheSquad
I have done that when tried to use the :crypto module directly…
The
ExPublicKey.decrypt_privatefunction asks for a Base64 String (Apparently ?)TheSquad
Ok, I found the issue.
Actually it was 2 incompatibility back to back.
The crypto is encoding the base64 not URL safe, while ExPublicKey default option is to set it to true for decoding…
The second one was the wrong rsa padding by default
Node is using : RSA_PKCS1_OAEP_PADDING
while Erlang crypto uses rsa_pkcs1_padding
Setting Node to RSA_PKCS1_PADDING
everything worked finally…