Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

Dave Thomas suggests that folks put the interface definition for a component into lib/foo.ex, then put all the implementation code into lib/foo/*.ex. I’ve been using this approach and like it a lot, but I’m not sure how to document the defdelegate entries.

Although I could put all of the interface documentation into lib/foo.ex, this would defeat much of the purpose of using lib/foo/*.ex. The @doc entries would be separated from the code and the lib/foo.ex file would become awkwardly large.

So, I’ve been using placeholder @moduledoc and @doc entries in lib/foo.ex, containing links to the “real” documentation, as follows:

@moduledoc """
This module defines the external API for the Common component.
Each "function" actually delegates to a public function in
`common/*.ex`.
"""

@doc """
Split a comma-delimited string into a list of trimmed strings.
([`...Strings.str_list/1`](Common.Strings.html#str_list/1))
"""
defdelegate str_list(in_str),       to: Strings

However, this seems a bit tedious. Am I missing an easier WTDI?

-r

Showing Posts 1 to 5

rgill

rgill

Did you ever find an alternative?

domvas

domvas

There is a metadata available in ExDoc for this (and well hidden too…)

@doc delegate_to: {M, F, A}

that will print See M.F/A

Example:
Considering:

defmodule DelegateDoc.Sub do
  @doc """
  This is my delegated func doc
  """
  def my_delegate(_arg) do
    # do stuff
  end
end

defmodule DelegateDoc do
  @moduledoc """
  Documentation for DelegateDoc.
  """

  @doc deletegate_to: {DelegateDoc.Sub, :my_func, 1}
  defdelegate my_delegate(arg), to: DelegateDoc.Sub
end

will end up like this in docs:
delegate_doc_exmple
Sorry I don’t know how to embed images…

And @doc deletegate_to: &DelegateDoc.Sub.my_func/1 will work too

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yes! Note this metadata is automatically set by defdelegate too.

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

sadly, no

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

I couldn’t get this to work:

@doc delegate_to: &DelegateDoc.Sub.my_func/1

but the first format seems to work fine.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews