dstpierre

dstpierre

Hi,

Retrying Elixir for the 4th time in the last 3 years, I think this time will be the “good” one.

So I’m still just playing around, and would need an explanation about why a fresh controller with the following action:

def index(conn, params) do
  conn
  |> put_layout(false)
  |> render("index.html", params: params)
end

I would expect my HTML from my templates/[controller-name]/index.html.eex to be the only HTML.

Instead it’s wrapped in what appears to be the root.html from templates/layout/root.leex.

When I remove the put_layout(false) I’m getting wrapped inside the app.html.eex layout, which is also wrapped in what appears to be root.html.leex.

Looking around for where this supposedly root.html would be set, and I’m not finding anything in “my” code, so I suspect this might be inside Phoenix, not really ready to dive into the source code yet, just prototyping.

From the documentation it seems the put_layout(false) should be the way to go to remove the layout template.

Any pointer would be appreciated.
Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

For support of phoenix_live_view there are now two levels of layout the root_layout and the existing layout. This is so that the layout part can be “live” as well. You need to set both to false to disable any layout.

seva

seva

Anyone landing here from search, this is the code you’ll have to use:

conn
|> put_layout(false) # disable app.html.eex layout
|> put_root_layout(false) # disable root.html.eex layout
|> render(...)

or shorter:

conn
|> put_root_layout(false)
|> render(..., layout: false)
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews