Athunnea
Is there any good tool to track dependency updates for elixir apps on github?
For Ruby i used to use Gemnasium, it was very good. I can’t find anything like that for Elixir. I don’t like Dependabot because it automatically generates PRs for each dependency update, and there is no option to skip PR and just send a notification. Notifications is all i need
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cnck1387
If you run
mix hex.outdatedit will show a list of dependencies, what version you have and the latest version available.Maybe you could rig a script to parse that on a schedule and send notifications out when current != latest. I could see something like that being doable with cron and ~100 lines of Bash.
OvermindDL1
Those PR’s are the notifications, how else would you expect to get them? It will even auto-close them if you update manually as well.
Athunnea
Of course you can run
mix hex.outdated. But when you have a few+ projects on github and you don’t touch them daily, you still want to know if dependency needs updating, especially for security reasonsAthunnea
Well, PRs are PRs, using them as notifications makes it look messy
Gemnasium used email notifications and a dashboard. It was quite informative and no noise in github PRs section. I wish there was something like that for Elixir
OvermindDL1
Considering they were all 7 days ago, I’m guessing the bot was just activated 7 days ago and those are the ones that are out of date. Should fix those. ^.^
If you close them, they stay closed. You can even tell the bot you don’t want to hear about further updates about a specific dep as well.
Huh?!? I’ve never seen such a section in github, what’s the github URL to such a thing?
Athunnea
This is from some public repo. It’s the reason I don’t use it, I don’t want my github to look like that. Besides i never update and deploy for each dep separately, so these PRs never get merged.
This is an old screenshot from Gemnasium, service that tracked ruby gems updates for your project. It was bought by Gitlab and closed. https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/import/gemnasium.html
Nothing like that for Elixir
LostKobrakai
They’ll all be closed once you update. No matter the amount of commits it took.
OvermindDL1
Precisely, and the bot keeps the PR updated with the latest commits as well, and will close it if you yourself manually update.
NobbZ
There once was
hexfaktorby @rrrene, which he took down quite a while ago for legal reasons. It wasn’t GDPR compliant, and as it seems taking it off was the easier way, than to fix compliance.https://github.com/hexfaktor/hex_faktor_web
Perhaps there is anything left in the repository you can use for you?
Another way might be to use GitHub actions
on: cron: …as soon as they are publicly available or if you are already in beta, to runmix hex.outdatedon a regular basis.If you decide to do so, it would be nice to support hexpm/hex#714 and explain your usecase and how you would benefit from an output that is easier parsable than an aligned table.